Some suggestions, new here.

Apr 7, 2012
Covington, Ga
Hi all,
I have been lurking for a while and find this site very helpful. I am going to be purchasing a used above ground pool 24ft 54 ft wall. It comes with a sand filter. I will buy a new liner and have it professionally installed. Being that I want the pool, my DH said it's up to me to maintain the pool. What should be my first steps taken once installed to ensure good water quality and taking care of the pump and checking for any issues that may arise. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks :-D

Read pool school, then read pool school again, most important go ahead and buy a good test kit either the Taylor K2006 or TF-100, I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits it is a better value, you will mostl likely have to order the kit mailorder. Also when you start to fill the pool make sure and get the pH and TA balanced, and add chlorine as soon as possible, one mistake many people do is fill the pool and wait a day or two to add chlorine, this lets algae start growing and you start off on the wrong foot.

Ike

After all of that.......read pool school.

There really is a TON of good info there that will make you pool smart in a matter of about an hour of reading. It may seem like a TON at first...but you'll grasp on very quickly. We promise!

When you're done reading Pool School, read Pool School again. :mrgreen:

You will find all your answers there. Seriously. :cool:

Read, read and read again all that you can..............!
It is amazing how much you can learn just by reading other peoples posts.
Also it helps if you run into problems or questions to have your signature setup with
equipment and location.
Just remember above all - HAVE FUN!

Dittos to what everyone else says: read pool school and get the Taylor test kit.
If you have some time before the pool install do a couple of practice tests on some tap water. After a few weeks of testing you will be a pro, it's straight forward once you get a few under your belt.

Oh, and use the pool calculator web page to determine what your pool needs.

Saltwater Generator. Takes the whole "keeping up with the chemicals" out of the equation. I have been using one for 3 years now. Other than skimming and weekly vacuuming with my trusty pool bug, closest thing to a maintenance free pool I have ever seen.

While a saltwater generator is a great vehicle to add chlorine to your pool, it is not the only way nor is it a "magic bullet" to make your pool care trouble free. Learining and understanding how to manage your pool, what to test for and what the tests mean will make your pool as troublefree as you can get. An SWG will enhance the convenience of that pool management but it will not think for you. ( I still love them, however :mrgreen: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well after three summers of literally having to do nothing but maintain the salt level, vacuuming and skimming, call it magic or whatever you like. A perfectly clean, algae free pool is what I have had. Doesn't require any thinking if there's no issues to think thru. No reason to make something more complicated than it needs to be.

I have chlorine, and i literally drop 2 3 inch tablets in twice a week or so and that is it. I amost never shock and when i take water sample to pool place for tests I rarely have to do anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.