Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some suggestions, new here.

1. Back To Top    #1

Some suggestions, new here.

Hi all,
    I have been lurking for a while and find this site very helpful. I am going to be purchasing a used above ground pool 24ft 54 ft wall. It comes with a sand filter. I will buy a new liner and have it professionally installed. Being that I want the pool, my DH said it's up to me to maintain the pool. What should be my first steps taken once installed to ensure good water quality and taking care of the pump and checking for any issues that may arise. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Some suggestions, new here.

Read pool school, then read pool school again, most important go ahead and buy a good test kit either the Taylor K2006 or TF-100, I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits it is a better value, you will mostl likely have to order the kit mailorder. Also when you start to fill the pool make sure and get the pH and TA balanced, and add chlorine as soon as possible, one mistake many people do is fill the pool and wait a day or two to add chlorine, this lets algae start growing and you start off on the wrong foot.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

After all of that.......read pool school.

There really is a TON of good info there that will make you pool smart in a matter of about an hour of reading. It may seem like a TON at first...but you'll grasp on very quickly. We promise!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks I will read it, asap.

5. Back To Top    #5

When you're done reading Pool School, read Pool School again.

You will find all your answers there. Seriously.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Read, read and read again all that you can..............!
    It is amazing how much you can learn just by reading other peoples posts.
    Also it helps if you run into problems or questions to have your signature setup with
    equipment and location.
    Just remember above all - HAVE FUN!
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

7. Back To Top    #7

Dittos to what everyone else says: read pool school and get the Taylor test kit.
    If you have some time before the pool install do a couple of practice tests on some tap water. After a few weeks of testing you will be a pro, it's straight forward once you get a few under your belt.

Oh, and use the pool calculator web page to determine what your pool needs.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

Saltwater Generator. Takes the whole "keeping up with the chemicals" out of the equation. I have been using one for 3 years now. Other than skimming and weekly vacuuming with my trusty pool bug, closest thing to a maintenance free pool I have ever seen.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

While a saltwater generator is a great vehicle to add chlorine to your pool, it is not the only way nor is it a "magic bullet" to make your pool care trouble free. Learining and understanding how to manage your pool, what to test for and what the tests mean will make your pool as troublefree as you can get. An SWG will enhance the convenience of that pool management but it will not think for you. ( I still love them, however )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I didnt like the salt water filter. All my tests were great but it felt like beach water Yuck not like smooth pool water. Plus was always sticky like the beach.
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP
    P/N: AT2408610

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you all for your suggestions I have read pool school 3x and will read again once pool is installed,lol. Will post pictures once install begins.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well after three summers of literally having to do nothing but maintain the salt level, vacuuming and skimming, call it magic or whatever you like. A perfectly clean, algae free pool is what I have had. Doesn't require any thinking if there's no issues to think thru. No reason to make something more complicated than it needs to be.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have chlorine, and i literally drop 2 3 inch tablets in twice a week or so and that is it. I amost never shock and when i take water sample to pool place for tests I rarely have to do anything.