Newbie here! Just warning! New to me pool and need advice

May 7, 2012
Bought a house with a index 16 x 48 pool.....it needed work. Drained and scrubbed! Spic and span. Filled it last night and came to the house today around 5pm to find the water slightly greenish. It was 80 degrees today. I came armed with chlorine, test kit sold to me by the local pool company. My pool has a rather large sand filter and it can be seen in one of brothers posts here. Anyway, it had no chlorine as it was well water. The ph was about 7. I dumped in most of a bag of "glb, shoxidzer"',and after 30mins., checked the chlorine level.....it was about 2.....my question is why is my pool turning brown and I can only barely see the bottom!!!!! It was light greenish before I started and the water was new just the night before!! Could I have had a alge problem in one day??

Re: Newbie here! Just warning! New to me pool and need advi

You can have algae bloom in one day. You can also have your water change to green and such when you have metals in your water (common with well water). Can you run a sample of your wayer to a pool store for a set of test results that include tests for metals? Post those results here and we can help you.

You will also want to make sure to keep some chlorine in the water until you get things under control (safest option is to use bleach), otherwise it may get worse, what is in the "glb, shoxidzer" it seems every company sells something different for shock, some may be di-chlor, some tri-chlor, others may even be cal-hypo, some will have a secondary algaecide (be ware of ones with copper as they can cause metal problems) .

Ike

p.s. you will need to get some CYA Stabilizer in the water, the easiest way is by adding stabilizer, but stabilized chlorine (di-chlor or tri-chlor) will slowly add CYA over time, this is also why we discourage people from excess use of stabilized chlorine around here as it leads to too high of CYA and over stabilization over time.

Thank both of you for responding! The "shoxidzer" is a product sold by "glb"... It is comprised of sodium dichlorvos triazinetrione 15 percent, and 9.53 percent available chlorine. I think I need a better test kit!! At least one that does metals as you have said. I am guessing that I have had a alge problem in one day and need to shock the pool. I will try to get more info... Thanks!!!

Personally I would not invest in a metal test kit until getting an idea if they are a potential cause of concern. Instead take a water sample to multiple pool stores for free testing, tell them your worried about metals, don't buy anything (if you have to buy something, make sure it is something you can use like Liquid Chlorine or maybe a small amount of stabilizer since you have a relatively fresh fill) Get the detailed numbers, not just a good or bad report, and post them here. If metals are low chances are they will always be low, if they are high then you may want to look into metal treatment options and maybe a test kit to keep up with them.

Ike

This is my brothers pool in his recently purchased house, no idea what the previous owners did. I have told him how good this site is for caring for your pool without shelling out cash to the pool store. I've had great results. I will test his water tomorrow with my tf-100, although I have no metal tests, at least we'll get the basic's. I know I have heard of the brown water after adding shock/ chlorine. Here was the previous post before the sale was final. my-brothers-sand-filter-t40716.html

A lot of pool stores can test for metals. It's usually not worth buying a test kit for metals as you only need it one time.

Here's what's in the "Shoxidizer";
Potassium Hydrogen Peroxymonosulfate Sulfate,
Sodium Carbonate,
Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione.

The MSDS doesn't list the percentages of the ingredients.

Bama Rambler said:
A lot of pool stores can test for metals. It's usually not worth buying a test kit for metals as you only need it one time.

Here's what's in the "Shoxidizer";
Potassium Hydrogen Peroxymonosulfate Sulfate,
Sodium Carbonate,
Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione.

The MSDS doesn't list the percentages of the ingredients.

So I had my brother (experianced user with a tft100) test my brown water and here are the results:
FC4 CC0 TC4 PH6.8 TA230 CH170

I also went to my pool suppy and he confirmed the results. Also, he sold me some "Metal Free" product, which supposedly "deactivates iron, copper, and other trace metals". I will try that to see if it helps with my "brown water"!

The first thing I would do is get the pH in line, a reading of 6.8 is the bottom of the scale of the test, so it could be 6.8 or 6.4 or who knows how low.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
The first thing I would do is get the pH in line, a reading of 6.8 is the bottom of the scale of the test, so it could be 6.8 or 6.4 or who knows how low.

Ike

Thanks Ike,,,I think that is good advice. Since my TA is high at 230, the pool guy recomended getting that to normal and then it should "stabilize" the PH so it can be adjusted. Do you think that is correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I think it would be a good idea to areate the water, that should both raise the ph and start to lower the ta. Maybee the ph should be raised somewhat first though, not sure about that.

With a TA of 230 I don't think it'd take a lot of aeration to raise the pH pretty quickly. I'd aim an eyeball to the sky and let it run for a day.

Metal Free isn't one of the recommended sequestrants but it works for most people. You can add it and see if it helps. If it makes a big difference you'll know you have metals and then you cna decide what you want to do about it.

Well, my brown water problem is solved... Just for information, I was at my "pump and well" store for a unrelated reason of having my drinking water checked for bacteria and I asked them what they thought about the brown water in my pool. They said it was "metals" and that clorine reacts with the metals causing them to oxidize and turn colors, in my case brown.
So, armed with some "metal free" product, I headed up the hill to my house ready to tackle the brown water problem. I had not seen the pool since the day before. When I got there and walked over to the pool, I was amazed. The water was crystal clear!! I mean clear and not a trace of any color. It was clearer than the day I filled it. I figured that the brown had disipated or evaporated or something. So, I decided to backwash the sand filter and what do you know, it came out nasty brown for almost 3 minutes!! My sand filter had removed all the brown! I didn't think that was possible with a sand filter. I am very impressed with that system to say the least.
I still have some work to do with the PH and the TA, but that "should" just be a matter of following recomendations on this site. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Sweet...Did you bring the CL level back up some? With no CYA it can be pretty low but it should be around 2 / 3 ppm. You do want to get the CYA level up some to help with the CL usage.

bobby1017 said:
Sweet...Did you bring the CL level back up some? With no CYA it can be pretty low but it should be around 2 / 3 ppm. You do want to get the CYA level up some to help with the CL usage.

Yea, the CL had dropped to about 1.5 after being at 4-5. I brought it back up to 4ish, but realize that it will be back down tonight. I think I need to start working on my TA of 230, then my PH which is 6.8. I will do some research and work on it tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.