Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to get seasonal pool up and running - a CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to get seasonal pool up and running - a CYA question

After filling our pool, I added CYA granules and bleach (my first mistake was not reading the documentation on this site that said I could get going with shock, which would provide my CYA and chlorine). Anyway, I used test strips (I know, another mistake). This proves their unreliability. The strips continually said that I had 0 CYA, so I eventually added the entire bottle. I finally took a sample to the closest pool store (25 miles away) and my test results showed a CYA level of 77 and a FC level of 10. According to the chart, the chlorine is within acceptable range, but my question: is this still considered too high for the CYA? I don't want to have to drain any water, but I'm willing to do so to get this right.

I also plan to get a good test kit as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the rookie mistakes. I'll learn soon enough...
    Intex Easy Set 18'x48" vinyl AG
    5,455 gallons
    Intex pump
    Cartridge filter, Type A

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Trying to get seasonal pool up and running - a CYA quest

Hello and welcome to TFP!

Granular CYA can take up to a week to register on your test. How long ago did you add the CYA? If your CYA is really 77, that is too high (assuming you don't have a SWCG). You would be better off in the 30-50 range.

Also, pool store results tend to be unreliable. If possible, get yourself a good test kit..like the TF-100 from tftestkits.net

Posting current *accurate* readings will be key to us helping you.

Pool School and the Pool Calculator will be your best friends!

3. Back To Top    #3

I began adding the CYA when the pool was about halfway full, which was Saturday morning. I can only assume that if the 77 I got from the pool store is accurate, it will be even higher after a week. I've got a test kit; it's a decent one, but not one of the ones recommended here, and it doesn't test for CYA. Would I be ok in using the CYA only test until I use up my other kit and then buying a good one like the TF100?
    5,455 gallons
    Intex pump
    Cartridge filter, Type A

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by copprtop97
    I've got a test kit; it's a decent one, but not one of the ones recommended here, and it doesn't test for CYA. Would I be ok in using the CYA only test until I use up my other kit and then buying a good one like the TF100?
    Do you mean use only the pool store's CYA reading? It is really not ideal. TFTestkits has really fast shipping. It only me took 2 days to get kit even though I am across the country!

5. Back To Top    #5

No, I meant ordering the cya reagent only and using it until I used up my other kit.
    5,455 gallons
    Intex pump
    Cartridge filter, Type A

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by copprtop97
    No, I meant ordering the cya reagent only and using it until I used up my other kit.
    Aww yes, that would be a good plan!

7. Back To Top    #7

If this is a new pool how much CYA did you add to the water? Knowing this will give us a ball park of where your true levels might be.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I ended up putting in 3 lbs in 5455 gallons of water.
    5,455 gallons
    Intex pump
    Cartridge filter, Type A

9. Back To Top    #9

This is an Intex Easy Set pool. We take it down each winter. Yesterday I drained about 1/3 of the water and refilled. I'm waiting to have it retested until later this week, just to make sure all of the cya has dissolved. In the meantime, I'm keeping the chlorine level up to prevent algae.
    5,455 gallons
    Intex pump
    Cartridge filter, Type A