Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Be Careful When Working Around Top Rails and Caps

1. Back To Top    #1

Be Careful When Working Around Top Rails and Caps

Just a word of caution - My wife and I replaced the rusted top plates on our AGP this past weekend, which entailed taking the top rails and caps off. When I removed two of the plates, I looked down inside the post and found HUGE black widow spiders. So be careful where you poke your fingers when taking the winter covers off, etc.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Be Careful When Working Around Top Rails and Caps

And bees too!

I'm getting out of this thread now!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Cleaned out 12+ years of "stuff" from under our old deck when I recently redid our deck.

The final count was :

4 Black Widows
    1 suspected Brown Recluse
    Too many wolf spiders to count
    1 small rat snake

Gotta love Middle Tennessee!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen wasp nests inside some pool legs. Kinda scary to discover when barefoot and shirtless! One might consider a good squirt of spray foam inside each leg.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

5. Back To Top    #5

Suddenly I love freezing cold winters....it's kills insects that could kill me....although 2 summers ago a black bear wandered right across our front lawn, so that's not so great.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Suddenly I love freezing cold winters....it's kills insects that could kill me....although 2 summers ago a black bear wandered right across our front lawn, so that's not so great.
    He's probably not likely to surprise you by hiding in a pool post though....
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    He's probably not likely to surprise you by hiding in a pool post though....
    I don't know, some of those bears are very tricky! Yogi could hide behind a Pickink basket!
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Cleaned out 12+ years of "stuff" from under our old deck when I recently redid our deck.

The final count was :

4 Black Widows
    1 suspected Brown Recluse
    Too many wolf spiders to count
    1 small rat snake

Gotta love Middle Tennessee!
    Wolf spiders are actually kinda cool. I found one in my garage once and caught it in a jar. Felt like a kid again...

edit: Heard on the news the other night where a huge timber rattler was found and caught here in the neighborhood where I live. The news crew actually showed the street sign at the end of my street (4 houses away).
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Wolf spiders are actually kinda cool. I found one in my garage once and caught it in a jar. Felt like a kid again...
    Yes indeed...love em. They consume zillions of bugs, all for free!

edit: Heard on the news the other night where a huge timber rattler was found and caught here in the neighborhood where I live. The news crew actually showed the street sign at the end of my street (4 houses away).
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's no fun.

I love snakes...but the venomous ones I can do without!
    -Gordon