Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Malfunctioning SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Malfunctioning SWG?

My pool is new as of October-November 2011, so the SWG is still new (right?). Since I have an automatic cover, I've even been able to turn the SWG off at times when the Chlorine level is good or when I want to lower the level. Most of the time I'm running the pump 8 hours a day with the SWG at 10% or less.
    Yesterday the SWG read "oversalt" and the reading was supposedly 5600. Today I get the following readings:

FC- 21 (brought up to shock level with Chlorox after my darling 2 year old grandson pooped in the pool yesterday <insert eye roll>SWG is off)
    CC- 0
    pH-7.6 (was 7.2 yesterday morning before pool party which assuredly raised it up)
    CYA-50 (prob. a touch higher but not reading yet since I added a bit a few days ago. I feel safer running on the conservative lower side here since I do use the automatic cover and fear adding too much. Don't want to deal with *those* consequences)
    NA-3400 (a very consistent reading each and every time I test)

Do you think the salt cell is malfunctioning or could I be causing it to malfunction when I turn it off-on, or put it into "winter mode" when I want less than 10% running?
    I'm looking for assistance here before my PB comes on Friday over a different issue, and of course the device is still under warranty.
    Thanks in advance!
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Malfunctioning SWG?

Have you inspected it to see if it has any buildup on it? Have you cleaned it? I'd clean it before anything else.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit