Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any advice about making Intex Ultra more rust resistant?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any advice about making Intex Ultra more rust resistant?

I bought an 18x52 Intex Ultra last fall to replace the blue Intex we had for 5yrs. Long story, but I ended up having to locate/buy all the horizontals and upright poles. I have the brand new T bars(only part of frame included in the new in-the-box pool that I was assured was complete) Because the posts I needed were interchangeable with the 16x48,20x48 and the 20x52 , I decided to buy a 2yr old 16x48 pool for parts and ordered the 2 horizonals and 2 verticals I still needed from Intex. The used frame is in pretty good condition with superficial scratches/abrasions on the powder coat and some tiny chips with rust. The inside posts are not powder coated and I see a fine film of rust. Is there any reason I shouldn't pull a piece of sponge saturated with rust converter through all 18 Ts and 36 posts?
    20k gallon IG Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp hayward, polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any advice about making Intex Ultra more rust resistant?

That would actually be a good idea. I would also paint the scratches and dings too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Never thought of using the sponge and rust converter. Any idea of what you would use? Mine have the light film/dusting of rust on the inside also.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you talking about rust inside all of the tubes where they don't powder coat?

If so do like I am planning to do with my new Intex before I fill it and seal all the joints with clear silicone sealer.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

5. Back To Top    #5

The T's and horizonals look especially susceptible to rust at the welds. The legs look fine except a little where they fit into the feet. I just cleaned inside the horizonals by tyeing twine onto the middle of a magic sponge and duct taping/covering a bolt onto the other end of the twine. I fed the weighted twine down and folded the magic sponge in half and pulled it through. I plan on using this method with a sea sponge and rust converter just through the T's and horizontals.The plastic pin thing is super easy to take out and put back in the T's(be very careful not to let it spring into the white gravel like I did the first time, luckily I have extra T's to borrow from with the 16' pool) I plan on getting matching auto touchup paint to dab anywhere I find chips or scratches. I'm also going use this paint around edges. The silicone is a great idea, I will definitely use this to seal the bottom of the black feet and caulk around where legs slide in them. I had already decided to do this with the new ladder, after our old one rusted from the inside out.
    20k gallon IG Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp hayward, polaris 280