Pool and septic system

Blessedwithfivekids

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
Northern Connecticut
Hi everyone,
I was told by my contractor that the pool edge needs to be at least 25 feet away from my septic tank and leach fields. Does anyone know why? I would really like it only about 20 feet away but I don't know if I should try for a variance or not
I would really hate to mess up the septic :shock:

Thanks

Sandy

Septic systems are monitored by Department of Natural Resources in your state, with the EPA over them. Your PB doesn't want to get tangled up in that.

I used to inspect homes, as well as septic systems, and more often than not, septic systems are laid out completely different than the original plans. I've inspected homes where there are no laterals at all, even when they were on the blueprints.

You'd want a septic inspector to come out and mark your leach fields by using his witching/dowsing rods to at least verify the presence of the laterals/leach field.

But to answer the original question, the last thing your PB wants to do is run into a leach field that may have been dug differently than the blueprint called for. YUCK!

Even better then. It's no doubt a plastic tank. The older metal ones had the tendency to rust and leak, hence the distance requirement. However, plastic tanks are broken easier.

Nothing to lose in applying for a variance. Might be more of a process since it's handled on the state level with federal involvement, as opposed to the municipal level. Might take longer than expected.

Have you considered moving the tank if necessary to get the pool where you want it? We had our lines moved and it was fairly inexpesnive and was completed and reinspected the same day of the pool dig.

The PB arranged it with the guy who dug the pool and the cost was around 2k. Maybe inexpensive was a bad word - 2k is a lot to me but we had to have it done if we wanted a pool in our back yard.

We are just getting started with our PB to install a pool later this summer. We have a septic and know where the drainage field is located. Not only do we need to stay away from the existing drainage field, but we must set aside another area of the yard as a repair area in case the drainfield fails. We need to stay 20 feet away from the designated repair area. Fortunately, we have a pretty good-sized lot (1.64 acres), we will still be able to fit the pool in the backyard. But, our first choice for pool location would have been over some of the designated repair area.

If you're in Virginia you'll know if you are too close to your drain field as soon as you apply for a permit. I'm in Fauquier County and the 1st "approval" I needed was an on-site inspection to determine the drain field wasn't too close to where I wanted to put the pool. It didn't matter that my survey on file showed the field in the front yard and I was putting the pool in the backyard. Oh yea, that "approval" cost me $250.... you gotta have a since of humor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.