LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Back for my second season. My previous adventure has its own http://www.troublefreepool.com/swamp-to-pool-conversion-t34542.htmlthread. Been working on the pool for a month or so now this season, just have not found the time to check in. Light fixture is still leaky and I am going to post about that as soon as I can find the time.

Today, I want to talk about a little incident I had while vacuuming the pool using the pool suction line. I left the skimmer basket in, even though I think that is not recommended, but it is so much easier to clean out than the pump skimmer, and it has 3-4 times the surface area. Anyway, on about my third vacuum run (there was quite a bit of leaves and the skimmer was filling up quickly) I sensed that I had lost suction and assummed that the skimmer must have filled again, but as I swam over to check it, I heard a loud pop. About 10-15 seconds later the cover from the sand filter landed in the bushes. Now, I had backflushed prior to starting the vacuuming so I figured I would be in good shape. Thankfully the cover screwed right back on the sand filter and it seems to be functioning just as before the incident, but obviously I would like to prevent a similiar event from happening in the future.
Any ideas?

My assumption is you are thinking the blockage of leaves in the skimmer basket had something to do with it but the opposite would be the case. Any restriction on the suction side of you system will reduce the psi in the filter, not increase it.

I have no idea why the filter separated unless there was a restriction from the filter to the return and even then, pool pumps typically don't produce more than 35 psi and your filter should be rated to withstand 50 psi.

It is quite the robust system, and I have dealt it alot of added stress with blockage at both intact and returns, etc. and continues to pump the pool like a champ. I had read the warnings previously, to stand back of the filter when starting the pump, but could never really imagine the lid ever flying off. Well that thought has changed real quick and I will now be extra careful in the future, as I will encourage others. A rather inexpensive lesson I guess. Thanks for the insight, at least I am not the only one a little preplexed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.