Adding a second set of holes for new pump.

May 6, 2012
I have a 15' Intex metal frame pool, with the stock filter/pump. My neighbor recently took down his pool and sold us his pump for $50. The pump claims to do 60 GPM which is a nice step up from the stock pump, the only problem is that it doesn't have any sort of filter with it. I tried to set it up so that the new pump was infront of the Intex pump but the problem was the new one pushes so much water that even with the filter out of the Intex pump it was still popping the top off.

Now my problem is my wife still wants to be able to use the old pump because of the filter, which I can't disagree with. So I have two viable options right now.

1) use the existing skimmer basket hole to drain into the new pump, split the return from the new pump into two lines, one throttled line going into the intex pump and one going into a pvc return and do a spray bar type setup. The Pro to this is no cutting is needed.

2) Cutting a 2nd set of holes in the pool to be able to run both filters. How much of an undertaking is this, what parts am I going to need. what should I know?

I guess I am looking for advice on how to proceed forward from people who have done this before. I should also mention that when I had the intex pump behind the new pump I did NOT have the Intex pump plugged in (seemed logical to me). I also don't think I could put Intex in front of the new pump because I don't think I could enough throughput and am left with the same problem of a weak return.

Welcome to TFP!

There really isn't any point in proceeding as you described. Having a larger pump won't help anything. Getting a better filter to go with the new pump could make a large difference, but the new pump alone won't help.

I guess I have never looked for any sort of inline filters to use with the new pump. Have any links for that sort of thing? If they are fairly cheap that wouldn't be a bad way to proceed, but if they are pricey I may not be able to do it until late in the summer or next year.

The main reason for the new pump was to help with water flow, the intex stock pump is just so weak. :(

Something like this would be a huge improvement, though it is around $150, and you will need a few fittings to get it hooked up.

Water movement alone doesn't do much of anything. Even a very small pump is enough to keep the water mixed, which is all the pump can do by it's self. The real determination of how well things go is how good your filter is. The simple Intex cartridge filters are just about the worst filters on the market.

Jason you mentioned new fittings. Could you link me the fittings required? It turns out I might be able to get that sand filter now and I just want to figure out the entire cost.

Thanks.

Hi azazael and welcome to TFP! :)
I also scrapped my stock Intex pump/filter on my 15' metal frame Intex pool.
I found a used Waterway system on Craigs list and all I needed to do was replace the motor bearings, pump lid w/o-rings, 2 hoses and was good as new.
Go here and look at my posts as how I did it, also added a Hayward skimmer later, my posts start at the bottom of page one and continue through the topic...
custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html
Best thing I ever did to the pool, it was always perfect and very easy to keep clean.
The bigger asset I realized later was being able to hook up a vacuum head w/hose and really easy to clean the bottom of pool with back flushing in about 40 seconds, rinse 10 seconds and was done and back to filter\recirculate.
P.S. You can see when I first hooked up the new pump, it sucked way too hard and in the first pic's you see I drilled several bleed holes so the stock Intex overhang skimmer didn't suck air and cause the pump to start cavatating.

Chuck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I am indeed getting a 14" sand filter for the pool. So from what I can gather I will need to replace the two 1 1/4 fittings with 1 1/2 fittings (these should work I believe).

For the remainder of the year I will be using the intex surface skimmer so I will make the necessary modifications to prevent cavitation. So now I am waiting to see if my filter will be one of the lucky ones with 7 settings or 4 settings. Either way I need to figure out how all the settings work etc. Supertune would you mind explaining how cleaning with a vacuum head works?

A final follow up. I switched the existing holes to new 1 1/2 holes last night. I opted to just partially drain the pool since I didn't have any help. It was a little scarey making that first cut, but in the end everything seems to be okay. I only got the water to cover the lower hole last night before it got too dark to work. The new sand filter and pump are in place and ready for when I get home.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to try the inwall skimmer mod :)

Azazael glad you were able to get your new sand filter and pump. For those that are following this thread I would like to share how I hooked up two Intex filters to my 16'x48" Metal Frame. Last year I had a 15' inflatable ring pool. I kept the filter from it and put it with the filter that came with the Metal Frame.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 147
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.