Northernn VA Leisure 38' Moroccan Install

Gunnert

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
Dig was Saturday. Pool to be set today. More photos to follow...
38' Leisure Moroccan (20K gallons)
Pentair VS pump/EasyTouch w/ IC40/ Clean&Clear Plus/Robot cleaner
3 Pal Treo LED lights with WIRTRAN remote

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

More Photos from Day 1
IMG_2929.jpg

img]http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p485/reubinthornton/IMG_2944.jpg[/img]
IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

mg]http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p485/reubinthornton/IMG_2979.jpg[/img]
IMG_2980.jpg

Day 2, Pool Set, 1st hickup... Pal Treo lights don't fit the fittings... Was told lights fit "standard" 1 1/2" return... couldn't find one that fits from pool retailer, had to order fittings, won't be in till Wednesday.
After hole prep was completed, took 2 hours or raising/lowering, adding/removing gravel to set pool.

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

*sits with bikini on and towel by side in anticipation for a beautiful pool* :mrgreen:

Backfill and water began today. Couldn't finish filling. The Fiberstar lights (Pal Treo) for some dumb reason don't come with the niches to install them. Installation manual says 1 1/2" return fitting, NOT, had to order them seperate. Makes you wonder why you could buy them without the niches to start with... Another obstacle to be corrected unexpectantly is during excavating along the detached garage the power cable to garage was uncovered. It was only buried about 12"! Still have this one to overcome. I installed the EasyTouch panel. My PB is not familiar with the ET. The fun will begin when I try to interpret the setup manual.

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Quick update. Weather has delayed getting pump up and running. I finished the wiring Sunday (pump/IC40/Wirtan & Pal treo lights). All that's needed now is anchoring pump to pad and installing o-ring in piping that was missing. Hinesight... maybe should have gone with Pentair pool lights. Pentair lights are more that Pal Treo but convenience of being able to run lights with ET and cost of Wirtran would probably have equalled out. I'll post photos tomorrow when pump is running. Stamped Concrete work begins next week. Will include 5' around 3 sides of pool, patio along side of detached garage, 4' sidewalks connecting the 2 garages and deck off back of house, and 12x16 patio off of sunroom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the exact pool I am considering, actually this size and the 33. I just started a new thread, as I am a complete newbie to this process and have never had a pool. Are you happy with this brand and the fiberglass in general?

Can you give me an idea of the pool cost? I know there are plenty of extras so just the pool would be helpful. We have a budget of 25k and I am fearful we wont be able to make it for this pool in either size. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put it in the forum.

Thanks for your help. Yours cmemout great!

The color added to the concrete was a beige. The wash was black and sealer clear. There is no non-slip added. PB did not recommend non-slip and I didn't want it to start with; too rough on the feet. I'm enforcing the "no run" rule to prevent slipping. Honestly, it's not that bad.
IMG_3118-1.jpg

Meth said:
This is the exact pool I am considering, actually this size and the 33. I just started a new thread, as I am a complete newbie to this process and have never had a pool. Are you happy with this brand and the fiberglass in general?

Can you give me an idea of the pool cost? I know there are plenty of extras so just the pool would be helpful. We have a budget of 25k and I am fearful we wont be able to make it for this pool in either size. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put it in the forum.

Thanks for your help. Yours cmemout great!

I planned for a year and researched EVERYTHING. The shell alone cost $18k (delivered). I initially made a deal with an internet company to supply and install the pool. When I got to the day before delivery I discovered I was about to get screwed. The contract was cancelled but I was left with the option of going to court to try to get my deposit/pool price ($18K) back or accepting the pool and finding a local installer. As usual, when trying to save money, if the deal sounds too good to be true...it's because it IS too good to be true.

I saved money where I could, e.g. bought the Pentair components off the net (big savings), I did the electrical work, prep and sod laying, etc. I kept all receipts and invoices throughout process. I "thought" I could get this done for $35K. But, I decided to NOT cut corners and go all out with the concrete, sidewalks, additional patio off sunroom, etc. Ended up pouring 25 yards of concrete. During the planning phase I changed and added concrete 3 times. I just kept telling myself that if I was going to do it, NOW was the time to do it. About the most common regret I've read on this site from home owners is NOT building enough patio/concrete. So, while I was being frugal, I was driven more by not wanting regrets at the end of the install. Hidden costs to beware of are in things as simple as backfill...some builders go with sand or 57 gravel (both are inexpensive). My PB insisted on #8 gravel. It took 60 tons of gravel. Gravel cost direct from quarry was $3k. I don't have regrets... I still have to install a fence (bought a used Jerico 48", black aluminum off Craigslist). When the fence is installed, I'll be right at $48K TOTAL.

I read many posts about FB pools having spider cracks, minor flaws, etc. When I received the pool I couldn't find anything wrong. And, after install, I still have zero issues with the pool. In hindsight, I go with the very same pool again, no reservations.

Gunnert said:
The color added to the concrete was a beige. The wash was black and sealer clear. There is no non-slip added. PB did not recommend non-slip and I didn't want it to start with; too rough on the feet. I'm enforcing the "no run" rule to prevent slipping. Honestly, it's not that bad.

thank you for the info. i think it's very interesting (and concerning!) to read about everyone's slippery or non-slippery stamped concrete. i have a few weeks to figure out exactly how i'm having the concrete done, so i am trying to get as many opinions as possible as i'm nervous about it ending up slippery.

Gunnert said:
Meth said:
I saved money where I could, e.g. bought the Pentair components off the net (big savings), I did the electrical work, prep and sod laying, etc. I kept all receipts and invoices throughout process. I "thought" I could get this done for $35K. But, I decided to NOT cut corners and go all out with the concrete, sidewalks, additional patio off sunroom, etc. Ended up pouring 25 yards of concrete. During the planning phase I changed and added concrete 3 times. I just kept telling myself that if I was going to do it, NOW was the time to do it. About the most common regret I've read on this site from home owners is NOT building enough patio/concrete. So, while I was being frugal, I was driven more by not wanting regrets at the end of the install. Hidden costs to beware of are in things as simple as backfill...some builders go with sand or 57 gravel (both are inexpensive). My PB insisted on #8 gravel. It took 60 tons of gravel. Gravel cost direct from quarry was $3k. I don't have regrets... I still have to install a fence (bought a used Jerico 48", black aluminum off Craigslist). When the fence is installed, I'll be right at $48K TOTAL.

I read many posts about FB pools having spider cracks, minor flaws, etc. When I received the pool I couldn't find anything wrong. And, after install, I still have zero issues with the pool. In hindsight, I go with the very same pool again, no reservations.

I'm considering a Leisure pool as well, thanks for the thread on your journey. Looks great!

60 tons of #8 was $3k?! :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.