Low suction when vaccuming

May 6, 2012
Hi I am new to this forum and hoping maybe one of you can help me out. From what I have read in other post, there is a lot
I did not know about pool maintenance. Any here is my problem, when my pump is running everything seams fine. It will self
prime, the basket fills completely with water ( no air pocket) pressure on filter 8 to 10 psi. (cartridge filter) Have good flow
returning to the pool. When I hook up my vacuum hose to clean the pool, I get an air pocket in the basket and low suction.
This is not a new pool,about 15 years old. The pump was replaced a couple of years ago. The cartridge is new, have held the
hose completely under water to make sure there were no leaks in it. I know the air pocket in the basket is the sign of an air
leak. But if the hose does not have a leak , where could it be. The hose is connected though the skimmer.After I get it all
set up , the hose is full with water and I am getting suction at the head (enough to clean the pool,not near as much as
there use to be) If I pull the hose out of the skimmer , a lot of air will come out of the returns, the basket air pocket goes
away and all seams normal again.

The vacuum hose could have a hole in it, or you might even have the ends reversed. The swivel end goes on the vac head as it's not a perfect seal and it will suck air. Seeing more air when vacuuming isn't uncommon as you are asking the system to suck from a much longer stretch so the pump wants to pull air from where ever it can. Try seeing if the air pocket gets smaller when vacuuming by running a garden hose over the front fitting of the motor and around the lid. If they air goes away then it's sucking air from either the fitting or the lid gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.