Time to replace my pump. Here for advice.

May 6, 2012
It has come time to replace my Sta-Rite Dura Glas 1 hp pool pump yet again. I have been in my house 12 years now and this will be the 3rd pump. As I'm checking around online, it appears that Sta-Rite no longer manufacturers this pump. I am guessing that the most likely replacement pump will be a Pentair Superflo, but I wanted to check with you guys here first.

Full disclosure of situation should you guys have a better suggestion for me:

I do use an Aqua Rite saltwater chlorinator.
My pool is approximately 10,000 - 12,000 gallons. (14 x 28 kidney shaped will 4' depth on both ends dropping down to 5' depth in the center.)
I live in Florida (high heat situation, lots of pool use).
I will be installing 6 - 8 Fafco Revolution X solar panels this fall for heat.

I am looking for any information you guys might have about pool pump sizing, run-time, and efficiency options. I would love to be able to afford one of those super-high efficiency pumps, but realistically I'm trying to keep my purchase south of $300.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

I'm not sure dual speed energy efficient motors will work well for you since you need to pass water quickly through the solar panels. Having a timer run the pool on for 2 hours and off for two hours is better than having it run for 12 hours straight then left stagnant for 12. Although expensive they have digital control systems to turn the solar panels on and off based on the amount of heat the panels are getting (so you don't end up cooling your pool at night or on a cold day). 3rd pump in 12 years seems a bit much. Do you not have any motor repair shops in the area? Usually bearings are the culprit for running loud and or hot. If a motor just hums it's usually just a capacitor, starting switch, or a rusty shaft/axle etc.

The Superflo or the Whisperflo would be good pumps for you. I'd suggest a 2-speed model. That way you could do your normal pumping on low and kick it into high when the solar panels needed it or for vacuuming. The Aqua-Rite should be happy on low so that shouldn't be a problem.

What's the model of the pump you have now?

Bama Rambler said:
The Superflo or the Whisperflo would be good pumps for you. I'd suggest a 2-speed model. That way you could do your normal pumping on low and kick it into high when the solar panels needed it or for vacuuming. The Aqua-Rite should be happy on low so that shouldn't be a problem.

What's the model of the pump you have now?

I'm not sure of the exact pump model now. I do know its a Sta-Rite Dura Glas 1 HP (Not Dura Glas 2 as far as I can tell.) I did remove the pump today and noticed a sizable build-up of dark dust in the back of the motor. The motor seems to turn freely, but the part of the motor that rotates in the center of the motor seems to have a little uneven wear on it. Also, I noticed that the motor had some play in the back end of the pump, but the bearings still seem fine.

I can get a 1 HP Superflo for around $250 - $270 online, or I could spend the money it costs to replace the parts that have gone bad in the motor and still have an issue. I think I'll try the Superflo this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.