Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: *sigh* Pump problems. Again.

1. Back To Top    #1

*sigh* Pump problems. Again.

I just had my Dad come out and put the pump back on the pool and fill it this week. Guess what?! @#$%$%^&#^&* pump that we just bought last year doesn't work. Yesterday (the first day we had it on), whenever I turned it off, the GFCI kept popping. After about 10 times of that, it finally stopped popping. So I turned the pump on low for overnight last night. Went out this morning and it was off. The GFCI popped - apparently while it was running this time? But now the pump won't start at all.

What the heck? We have lived here 4years in July. This will be the 3rd pump to go bad.

I'm quite obviously doing something wrong with them!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: *sigh* Pump problems. Again.

Is the GFI built into the outlet? My experience is those don't seem to last very long when exposed to the elements. Can you plug the pump in via an outlet that does not have a GFI just to see if the pump is working ok.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Is the GFI built into the outlet? My experience is those don't seem to last very long when exposed to the elements. Can you plug the pump in via an outlet that does not have a GFI just to see if the pump is working ok.
    It's the weird 3 prong plug in, but the GFCI is actually in the basement of the house - which means traipsing through the house, down the stairs and back through the basement every time this happens!!

You plug the pump in outside, and it is wired to plug into an outlet in the basement, which is GFCI. So, I gues the outlet with the GFCI isn't exposed to the elements.

I don't think we have anywhere else to plug it in with that kind of outlet either.
    23,000 gal
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    Central IL

4. Back To Top    #4

So the pump is plugged into a receptacle outside but that's ran into the basement where it plugs into another receptacle in the basement, and that receptacle is a gfci?

It could still be the gfci receptacle in the basement that's the problem. Is it a twist lock plug in both places?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    So the pump is plugged into a receptacle outside but that's ran into the basement where it plugs into another receptacle in the basement, and that receptacle is a gfci?

It could still be the gfci receptacle in the basement that's the problem. Is it a twist lock plug in both places?
    You got it! An electrician did it, too. I know that for a fact. Don't know the reasoning though!!

It is twist lock outside, but regular plug in the basement.
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

6. Back To Top    #6

Standard receptacles can be run downstream from a GFCI and still operate as a GFCI. Pretty common as a cost-saving measure.

One thing to keep in mind is that GFCI's are more or less a consumable item. The contacts inside that are designed to trip with small variances tend to corrode/pit over time. You might want to try and replace the GFCI inside the house, keeping all downstream wiring intact, and see if that fixes the problem.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

7. Back To Top    #7

If you've had a lot of rain or moisture lately, or have recently hosed down the area near the outdoor outlet, perhaps you have some moisture build up in that outlet and it keeps tripping the gfci. Though it would likely trip without he pump plugged in also. Just a thought. Happens to me on my outdoor outlets which are downstream from an indoor gfci outlet.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp