Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can a Pool go without adding Chlorine ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long can a Pool go without adding Chlorine ?

I just want to throw this one out there ...... I'd like to hear your opinions and responses. OK, say if one has a plaster pool , 10,000 gallons. The pool is in balance and is in mostly sun. If one keeps the CYA level around 30-50 ppm. On Friday I have added enough 12% liquid chlorine to bring the FC level to 4.0ppm . Will the pool survive one week until more chlorine can be added ? I'm not a big fan of tabs! I have been told they can ruin a heater as well as, they constantly add CYA to the pool . What do Pool service guys do if they only service once a week ? Opinions Please ! Thank you in advance .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long can a Pool go without adding Chlorine ?

No, you won't go a week. You'll need to add daily. You'll typically need to replace 2-3ppm per day.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Can you put a cover over the pool? That would help a lot.

4. Back To Top    #4

well..I can go a full summer without adding chlorine....but then, I have a SWG!! LOL.....yeah yeah, I know it turns the saltwater into chlorine anyway.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

With CYA of 50 and FC raised to shock value, my pool has done ok through a week long absence when I have been on vacation. But I would never attempt that as routine maintenance.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to look at a Stenner Pump or a Liquidator.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

P.S with a CYA of 50 4ppm is your minimum fc level...pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PVpools
    I just want to throw this one out there ...... I'd like to hear your opinions and responses. OK, say if one has a plaster pool , 10,000 gallons. The pool is in balance and is in mostly sun. If one keeps the CYA level around 30-50 ppm. On Friday I have added enough 12% liquid chlorine to bring the FC level to 4.0ppm . Will the pool survive one week until more chlorine can be added ? I'm not a big fan of tabs! I have been told they can ruin a heater as well as, they constantly add CYA to the pool . What do Pool service guys do if they only service once a week ? Opinions Please ! Thank you in advance .
    A few years ago I went to Vegas for a week. Didnt have any CYA in the pool. It was probably a 3 FC or so when I left.
    When I got home, my pool was very green.

BTW, why would chlorine tabs harm a heater? I dont think that is an accurate statement.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08
    BTW, why would chlorine tabs harm a heater? I dont think that is an accurate statement.
    It is low PH that can damage a heater. A fair number of people using tabs ignore the PH. Since the tabs are acidic, the PH goes down, eventually getting very very low, and the heater is damaged.

It is also possible for a heater to be damaged by a tablet feeder that is placed too close to the heater without a check valve. In that case water with very low PH from inside the tablet feeder can sometimes migrate back towards the heater while the pump is off, eventually causing damage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School