Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who has the best variable speed pump Pentair or Jandy.

1. Back To Top    #1

Who has the best variable speed pump Pentair or Jandy.

I want to replace my Hayward single speed 2 hp pump with a Variable speed pump. I like Hayward pumps but they won't communicate with my Jandy aqualink with out using up relays to operate. So Jandys Aqualink install manual states it will communicate withe Pentair intelliflo pump and of course the Jandy vs flopro. They are both around $829 on eBay. So price is not a deciding factor. Who is best?
    20 x 40 Blue Haven gunite quartz plaster pool with 9 foot spa. Hayward 2hp pump, 2hp Polaris blower. 450sqft Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward h400 propane heater and Solar panel. Aquarite pro S.W.G. With CO2 Sense and Dispense. Jandy aqualink RS 8 with Aquapalm remote control. Polaris 360 pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Who has the best variable speed pump Pentair or Jandy.

The Pentair IntelliFlo has been around longer and has gotten mostly good reviews. Every once in a while they lose the ability to communicate with the automation system. Otherwise, all of the comments have been positive. The Jandy/Zodiac ePump is relatively new and the VS FloPro is totally new and we don't have much feedback about either one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hockessin, Delaware

i posted a review about a week ago on the Jandy VS Flopro. So far i love it. I love the fact that it is removable so i can bring it inside in the winter. It is so quiet when it runs that i found myself doublechecking the first week to make sure it is actually on. I also upgraded to the Iaqualink so i could control from my IPhone, computer, or anywhere else for that matter. As i type this i minimized my screen, looked at the status of my Iaqulink and it is running at 1750 RPM at 356 watts. Pretty cool if you ask me. The end reason for me choosing Jandy was so my equipment would all be the same. And i did the complete changeover myself. Any other questions let me know. Here is also a link if you want to hear how quiet it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 X 42 freeform gunite pool w/ spa
    white plaster finish
    Jandy VS ProFlow Pump
    3 returns, 2 skimmers
    pentair DE filter
    Aquapure 1400 SWG
    Raypac 399,000 BTU Heater
    Zodiac Nature 2 Pool sanitizer (haven't used yet)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Savannah, GA

We have a Pentair VS 3050 model for about 17 months and have been very happy with it. Pentair has been excellent when we needed tech assistance and even sent a tech out free of charge to replace a bad board in our Easy Touch controller that was under warranty. We have no experience with the Jandy pump, but I would consider ease of compatibility (Jandy automation is designed around Jandy products most likely.) into my decision making process if all other factors are about equal (in this case, price and quality). Best of luck to you.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.