New here with test results

Kelvin

May 5, 2012
Hornbeak, TN 38232
Hi Everyone,

I am new and here to learn about the BBB method.

I have a 30' 52" AG pool which is around 2/3 full now as I have not added any water since removing the cover. The water is green and I cannot see the bottom. Am I right in figuring I can get the water cleared up first and then finish filling the pool and retest? Over the past week and a half I have added 20 182 oz jugs (10 at a time) of Walmart Great Value 6% Bleach and 1 bottle of Clarifier. I have been running the filter all this time also. I did purchase the TF-100 Test Kit last year around the 6th of June but never got around to using it. Will all the chemicals still be OK to use? I did run the test today and here are the results:
FC - 1
CC - .5
TC - 1.5
PH - Higher than 8.2
TA - 110
CH - did steps 1 & 2 on instructions and still clear
CYA - Filled tube full and could still see dot - did this test twice

Any help on what steps I should take next would be greatly appreciated.

So glad I found this site!

Thank You!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing is to bring down your PH. You want to keep the PH between 7.2 and 7.8. I suggest lowering the PH all the way to 7.2 right now, since it will tend to go up slowly and you can't test PH while shocking the pool.

You also want to get some CYA in the water. I suggest aiming for a CYA level of 30 for now. Then you can fine tune it after you clear out the algae.

Then it is time to shock the pool. See the article in Pool School for directions.

Yes, your test kit should still be fine as long as it wasn't left out in the sun and didn't freeze.

I would skip the clarifier. It really won't do much of anything helpful while there is still live algae in the pool.

I added 62 oz of muriatic acid by slowing pouring in front of the return jet at around 12:30 today and checked the PH at 4:30. I am still getting a reading higher than 8.2. I did use the pool calculator and entered my pool as having 15,000 gallons as it is only about 3 foot deep I estimated. I read something about aeration causing high PH, does anyone think the that I am getting high PH beacause the water is below the jet or is that something I should not worry about? Should I turn off the filter a little bit after adding the acid or continue running it? Should I add more acid or give it till tomorrow and check again before adding more? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Add more acid now. Regardless of how much acid it takes (within some degree of reason), you need to lower the pH. Yours is a common problem in that your pH was probably quite a bit higher than 8.2 but simply didn't register on the test.

Kelvin said:
I added 62 oz of muriatic acid by slowing pouring in front of the return jet at around 12:30 today and checked the PH at 4:30. I am still getting a reading higher than 8.2. I did use the pool calculator and entered my pool as having 15,000 gallons as it is only about 3 foot deep I estimated. I read something about aeration causing high PH, does anyone think the that I am getting high PH beacause the water is below the jet or is that something I should not worry about? Should I turn off the filter a little bit after adding the acid or continue running it? Should I add more acid or give it till tomorrow and check again before adding more? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Does your kit have the acid demand test? My taylor 2006 kit has a reagent that lets me add drops to the test until you get the color (pH) you want. It then has a table for how much acid you need to add even if the pH is higher than 8

Can I put the stabilizer in a floating chlorinator? Will that work? I cannot add to skimmer because pool is only 2/3 full now. I am running filter with bottom drain only for now until I get the water cleared up and then I plan on adding water then. Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:
Can I put the stabilizer in a floating chlorinator? Will that work? I cannot add to skimmer because pool is only 2/3 full now. I am running filter with bottom drain only for now until I get the water cleared up and then I plan on adding water then. Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this.

Kelvin
People here recommend putting it in a sock in front of the return. I think it dissolves too slowly that way, but I was also adding 6 pounds.

my pb said you can just broadcast the stabilizer into the pool (the stabilizer instructions said that too). The downside is you have white granules at the bottom of the pool. One option would be to pour them in the pool and let the stabilizer get sucked down the main drain by sweeping the granules to the drain.

my pb said you can just broadcast the stabilizer into the pool (the stabilizer instructions said that too). The downside is you have white granules at the bottom of the pool.
Another downside is that CYA is Acidic and dissolves slowly. Vinyl liners don't like acid conditions and, If I remember, we have had reports from members who say it permanently damaged or discolored their liner. I may be dreaming that last part but others will chime in if they remember it, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

Here is where I am at now:

Added Stabilizer thru sock and 3 jugs of 182 oz 6% bleach on 5/8

Test results on 5/9
FC - 5.5
CC - 1.5
TC - 7
PH - between 7.2 - 7.5 (closer to 7.2)
TA - 40
CH - did steps 1 & 2 on instructions and still clear
CYA - around 22

Added 3 jugs of 182 oz 6% bleach after testing on 5/9 - All stabilizer is gone from sock

Test results on 5/10
FC - 14.5
CC - 0
TC - 14.5
PH - between 7.2 - 7.5 (closer to 7.2)
TA - 40
CH - did not do this test
CYA - around 27

Water is alot lighter shade of green than it was on 5/9 but still can't see the bottom.

What next? Do I keep adding bleach every time the FC falls below 12 until water is clear and do I add Baking Soda now to up the TA?

Thanks Everyone!

Kelvin

What next? Do I keep adding bleach every time the FC falls below 12 until water is clear and do I add Baking Soda now to up the TA?
a big YES to both questions. Of course you will only need one dose to change TA but you will need to test and replenish your chlorine constantly....twice daily is usually fine but more is better.

Do not test pH or CYA any more.....you are wasting your reagents. Test ph when you finish the shock process and test CYA about 3 weeks from now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.