My newly installed inground vinyl pool was filled about 1.5 weeks ago. When the crew had it filled, they did not add the salt or start the pump (for whatever reason). It sat like that for about 3 days until my PB learned that the crew failed to do this, and he came and added the salt and started the system up. This was on Friday, April 27, and he told me to stop by their sales office to have my water tested - which I was unable to do until Monday, April 30.
Water looks crystal clear to my newbie eye. Water was trucked in via a water supply truck, and I am assuming it was possibly well water with the high CH you will see in my stats below.
My test results at that time (Monday, April 30th) Water temp was probably around 55 degrees or so.
They had me add one 40 lb bag of salt, and 8 lbs of "PH Minus" and 2 lbs Pool Stabilizer.
I had not had time to use my TF100 test kit until today, and these are my readings:
Saturday, May 5th - water temp 65
CYA 0 (black dot never went away)
Borates 15 (is it possible to have Borates if I never added any?)
I realize my PH is high, as well as my TA, and I added 1 gallon of muriatic acid today. I retested PH and TA about an hour later (is this long enough of a wait?) and results are:
So, my questions as a total newbie:
1. Should I keep adding muriatic acid to continue to lower the PH and TA? Would this be better than the "PH Minus" granular stuff that they gave me on Monday? They told me to add the PH Minus directly to the skimmer, which I did but I really didn't like having that granular stuff being sucked right into my plumbing and thought I probably should have diluted it first.
2. What do I do about adding CYA? Their test showed 10 - and mine shows 0. Is it safe to assume that the Stablilzer they gave me was not enough? Is this the only way to go to add CYA, or is there something I am missing? Or do I just wait and see if starts to creep up over the next few days?
3. Since they had me add another 40 lb bag of salt, why would the salt reading have gone down to 2800 from the previous 2900? They indicated at that time that it should be brought up to 3200. Does this mean that I have to add more, or is there something that I need to do with my Pool Pilot to do this?
4. Is my FC too high at 5.5? And why do I not have any CC - is this something to worry about or will it fix itself?
5. Is my CH too high? And will this go down by itself? It seems to have getting lower, but I am not sure how this happens.
6. I have not added any Borates, yet I show a reading of 15. Does something else affect this without adding anything? Should I be doing anything differently here?
I should probably add that the weather over the past week has been somewhat rainy and cloudy, until today. We have been doing a lot of grading of the yard around the pool, and there has been some dirt and topsoil getting into the pool once in a while, which we vacuum out pretty quickly as we have been having the Sand Shark operating a few hours each day. With the rain we've had off and on all week, sometimes very hard rain, we've been fishing out a lot of worms from the pool. Not sure how, if at all, any of this might affect the test readings. Finally had the yard seeded today, so hoping I will be done with all of the mud, etc.
Sorry for all the questions!
Any help would be appreciated, and steps on what I should be concentrating on and it what order would be helpful.