Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Suction In Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

No Suction In Skimmer

Hey everybody, I am new to this forum and need some serious help. I was trying to use a new above ground pool vacuum and during the setup I noticed I don't have any suction through my skimmer. I just brought my filter and pump from the garage and installed it. I have PVC running from the skimmer to the pump and from the sand filter back to the pool.
    Anyway when I did a vacuum test, there wasn't any suction. I hooked the hose in the skimmer and put the hose to my skin and didn't feel anything. Am i doing something wrong or is my pump acting up. This pump is 1 year old.
    Thanks for your help,
    Eddie
    30 foot round pool. 4 feet deep.
    21,200 gallons
    AG
    Sand filter
    Taylor FAS-DPD Testing kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Suction In Skimmer

Did you fill the hose with water before hooking it to the skimmer?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

No i didn't. I didn't do it because it wasn't in the instructions. I will try that though. I'm still learning this pool stuff.
    Eddie
    30 foot round pool. 4 feet deep.
    21,200 gallons
    AG
    Sand filter
    Taylor FAS-DPD Testing kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Easiest way to fill the hose is to hold it over the return, put you hand on the end and transfer over to your skimmer.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.