New Compupool CPSC36 now I have a question

noj70

Dec 8, 2010
I just installed a CPSC36 on my 21X41 oval AGP. I have a 2 speed pump and when I run it on low the water level in the cell drops down. Is this bad for the cell? Does this mean I need to run the pump on high when the SWG is running? I hope not.

How far down does the water level in the cell go? If it is only a short distance, say 1/4" then it is totally fine.

The cell won't be damaged by running it that way, even with a lot of air in the housing, but it won't produce as much chlorine and may get error messages.

What if you partially block one of the returns? This post comes when I'm thinking of switching to a 2-speed motor. Currently my flow rate is approx 48-50 gpm. I'm hoping that at the low speed I'll get 24 gpm and that will be enough for the SWCG.

If you don't mind keep this post updated.

Bob

Playing with the valves i can slow down the water drop a little, but not enough. Guess I will look at a single speed pump and a timer. Unless I can find a possible leak on tge skimmer line or find a air release valve. I think if I am sucking in air at low speed it is rising to the cell.

Okay I think I found some of the problem. Since the generator is clear I am able to see air bubbles. Air bubbles only enter the unit when the pump is on low speed. I have noticed since last year when I bought the pump (used) that when switching to low from high speed the lid does jump up a tiny bit, like the suction is not strong enough to keep the lid on tight. I have replaced the O ring, lubed it good, even clamped it and wrapped leak seal tape around the edge of the lid, but always had air accumulate in the filter basket when the pump was on low. Now I believe the air is finding it's way to the cell unit. Does anyone think a new lid might fix this issue?

Is the pump above the water level?
Are there bubbles in the pump basket when the pump's on high?
A new lid might help but I suggest more lube first.
Have you tried running water over the fittings and valves to see if the bubbles go away?

The pump is below the water level, but not too much. When the pump is on high there are not any bubbles in the basket. I tried to find the suction leak last year and was not able to find anything. Now when the pump is on low the bubbles seem to find their way to the cell, and I don't have that much air in the basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was a report a while back on here about a pump strainer basket lid that had a very small crack. It was very hard to see but it opened up under vacuum enough to allow in air. You could have a similar issue. I'd inspect the lid very closely.

Update. I clamped the pump lid down and that stopped the air from flowing in on low speed. I let the pump run on low for a few hours and the water only dropped a tiny bit in the cell. I put the unit on superchlor and the level dropped halfway in less than 10 minutes. Guess I'll call compupool tomorrow and see what they think.

Gas is produced in the cell when it is active. Obviously, it needs some minimum flow rate to clear that gas out of the cell. I'm just surprised that the minimum flow rate isn't lower. I suppose part of the issue is that few SWGs have clear cells, so we don't really know what is going on inside most other SWG cells.

So Compupool told me the unit is too high and they suggest 18" above the ground, so I think it's worth a try. Hopefully the weather is nice enough so I can play with some PVC tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.