How can I know if my chlorine is up to shock level?

kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. I have the start of algae on my pool walls. I shocked the other day, but it is coming back. After reading your site I realize it is a process not a 1-time thing. I was wondering how I know if my FC is up to shock level (12)? My Taylor test kit only shows up to 5. Should I just go ahead and shock it twice a day until any sign of algae is gone & doesn't come back? Or if the overnight FC loss test doesn't show loss?

Thanks - Kathy

FC = 5 (I had shocked once)
pH = 7.4
TA = 115
CYA = 30

You should get a FAS-DPD chlorine test. It will measure FC and CC levels up to 50 in steps of 0.5.

While you are waiting for that to arrive, you can do your current test with dilution. This gives it a wider range, but dramatically lowers the precision. Mix one part of pool water with two equal parts of chlorine free water (typically distilled water), do the test with that, and then multiply the result by three. That will be good enough to get you in the ballpark, though it is going to be something like +-4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.