Sample size?

May 5, 2012
I just purchased my TF-100 test kit and ran my first set of tests. I have question that I wasn't sure of a good way to search for, so forgive me if it's been asked before.

In running my tests, I retrieved the appropriate sample size from the pool and retreated to the shady porch table to complete the test, washed the test tube and stirrer bar in the kitchen sink, and then returned to the pool to get the appropriate sample size for the next test, repeat, repeat.

My question is, can a get a larger sample of pool water, say a pint or so, in a clean jar and use this water to refill the test tube with for each new test, or will time in the jar skew the results?

One larger sample would save a bunch of running back and forth, but not a good idea if it jeopardizes the test results.

-Michael

Welcome to TFP!

Getting a cup (or half cup) of water and then using it for all of the tests is fine. Just make sure that you do the FC/CC test first and PH second. Those two tests can be affected by the sample sitting out for several minutes (or longer). The remaining tests can be done more slowly without problems.

I like to use a small squirt bottle to hold the water sample. That makes it really easy to fill the vials with exactly the right amount of pool water.

I use a tiny plastic pitcher and a 10cc syringe I swiped from the gazillion we throw out around here that are donated to our medical mission we do every year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ahampleman said:
I use the bottle the pool store gave me. .

+1. Just go to your local pool store and ask for a bottle to bring a sample back in and you can grab one or two. Sometimes I like to fill two if I am doing a complete test of all the test. This way I can rinse out my testing tubes with pool water to avoid any mixing of regular tap water vs pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.