Hi, I'm Jackie and I am new!

Hi, I currently have an above ground pool with a salt water system (LOVE IT!) 24X52
Well I just bought a house that has an in ground pool ( was a foreclosure.) It has what I think is a stainless steel pump under the house. It is round like a holding tank for a well (I have a well in my current house.) This place has city water so I know it is not a holding tank for a well. Could it be something else? After we get the rest of the house repairs made, we will be calling in a pool company to see cost of bringing this pool back to it's glory. It is concrete and the neighbor says it hasn't been used for at least 10 years. The only one swimming in it these days are about 5+ big bull frogs and about 20+ (haven't counted them) toads- but my daughter will be removing them this weekend and taking them to their new home (a pond or lake somewhere.)
Really curious about the stainless steel thing though, can't find any think like it on the internet, anyone have any ideas? It has the knobs like a sand filter (my dad had an in ground years ago.)

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like your going to soon have some good before and after photo's! I would suggest a good test kit and while waiting for that read and re-read Pool School. Link in my signature.

The pool is in Columbia, SC. I currently live in Rock Hill. I will be going down on Friday and Saturday (going back and forth right now until the house is ready to move in.) My Dad lives down there and is working on it and some things are getting done by the pros (roof replacement, refinishing hard woods, new air conditioner, etc.) I will get some pics then. But I plan on putting a Salt water system in. I will post some pics then.

I was mainly checking to see if I could upload it(the filter.) I will take some of the pool itself this weekend when I am down there. Right now we are trying to empty it out and it is full of pine straw and only has water in the deep end. My daughter retrieved a whole charcoal grill out of it :shock: . How can I find out when this pool was put in?

That's an old sand filter for sure, but it looks to be in pretty good shape. Being under the house is going to make it challenging but there looks to be a decent amount of head room under there. You'll appreciate it being there this coming winter.

You could go to the county records dept and see if there was a building permit pulled when they built the pool. That is going to be your best way to find out when it was built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, me and my Dad pulled all the vines down. Remember, no guts, no glory. :wink:
Also, would appreciate any ideas as to what to do to the pool until we are ready to tackle it.
We are concentrating mostly on the inside now.
Dad wants to drain it and cover it (worried about DHEC coming out :roll: )
I saw some you tube videos of pools being emptied and popping right out of the ground and that scared the bejeezus out of me. :shock:
I put one of those small discs in it that is supposed to kill mosquitoes and their eggs (good for a month.)
Do you think I can handle this myself or do I need to have a professional inspect the pool and equipment
and see what they say?

neverclearone said:
Also, would appreciate any ideas as to what to do to the pool until we are ready to tackle it.
Other than getting the junk out of it, I would probably leave it until you are ready to tackle it. It looks like it has been that way for awhile. Others may have thoughts...

neverclearone said:
Do you think I can handle this myself or do I need to have a professional inspect the pool and equipment
and see what they say?
Hard for us to judge that...are you handy, i.e. do you tend to fix stuff around the home yourself or have others do it? DIYers usually can do most of the work, unless there is something major like total replastering, etc. to do. If you decide to do it, we will help answer any questions you have.

I think I am pretty handy.
I put in a few car stereos in my day, remodeled a good bit of the homes I have had in my life. Mostly consisted of painting, tile (vinyl,) wall-papering and removal, putting crown molding up and base molding, just recently put 3 light fixtures in. :wink:

The above ground pool I have now has been sparkling clear for the last three years (I contribute that to my SWG, though.)

As Linen said, scoop as much debris out as is humanly possible. Use this tiem to read as much in Pool School as you can so you'll be ready to tackle it.

You can ask the neighbors and even local pool stores about the water table and that'll let you know whether to be concerned with it floating or not. There are a lot of lakes around Columbia so it'd be nice to know what your water table is.

Well, we got the frogs out (There were 7 big bullfrogs and lots of tadpoles-only a few made it) and got most of the water drained. Still have the pine straw and muck to deal with. Letting the pine straw dry out as it is way lighter when it is dry. Can't figure out how to get the last of the water out that the sump pump won't get. Way too much to bucket out (from my experience bucket draining a hot tub.) See additional photos on photo bucket. Also pruned palm trees, they look much nicer.
http://s298.photobucket.com/upload/albu ... l+May+2012

We took the frogs to the river. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support