Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GPM for Centurion B128 1hp motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

GPM for Centurion B128 1hp motor?

How do I figure GPM for my motor? It's not listed on the casing and I don't have the manual. What other info do i need for the calculation, if I have to do it. thx, SR

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: GPM for Centurion B128 1hp motor?

GPM depends on just about every detail of your plumbing. The pump pumps with a certain force, which is resisted by the friction of water flowing through the various pipe fittings. The total flow depends on the total amount of resistance encountered.

You can get a rough estimate working from the pump model number, the pipe diameters, approximate length of pipe runs, number of pipe runs in each direction, and the clean filter pressure.

In practice, knowing GPM isn't usually all that useful. The correct pump run time depends on how much it takes to keep the water clean, which is only roughly approximated by calculating turnovers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Stowe, VT

Re: GPM for Centurion B128 1hp motor?

Well I would imagine installing a flow meter on your return pipe would be the easiest way to tell. But are you looking for what GPM you need or what GPM you have currently?

Here's some reading on flow rate.

maximum-flow-rates-for-pvc-pipes-t1204.html ... -size.html

And for pump motors. ... nGuide.pdf
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter