Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump/sand filter vs. Intex 2650 gph pump/sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump/sand filter vs. Intex 2650 gph pump/sand filter

Hi, Id like to ask the opinions of those in the know.

I am purchasing the Intex Ultra Frame 26 x 52 pool and was planning to get the Intex Sand Filter / pump combo that has a 2650 gph rate. I really would prefer a better pump / filter system as recommended by Jason. Now I have found this Hayward setup and would like to know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S166T9...d_sim_sbs_lg_3

Would a 1 HP pump suffice? Be efficient?
    Would a 1 HP pump be better or overkill for the 26 x 52 Pool?

For the sand filter: 16 or 18? Im thinking the 18 (it has a 7 way valve (adding: winter, closed and rinse) vs. the 4 way valve on the 16)

Thank you,
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pump/sand filter vs. Intex 2650 gph pump/sand fi

Get the largest filter you have room for and can afford. Also, get a two speed pump. A two speed pump run on low speed saves you a significant amount of electricity and you still have high speed for when you need it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward pump/sand filter vs. Intex 2650 gph pump/sand fi

Thank you. I appreciate the quick response with loads of good information.

I'm finding it difficult to determine whether some of the pumps are 1 or 2 speed and am supposing
    that if it doesn't say, it's probably a single speed.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)