Cannot prime pump, and leaking filter?

May 5, 2012
Hi Everyone!
We are new to pool ownership, and having a couple issues. We recently bought a house with a large inground pool 20x40. It was left uncovered for probably 2 years. We are trying to open the pool and have run into some complications. We have a Hayward super pump, and also a Hayward sand filter. We cannot seem to get the pump to prime, after adding water to the pump basket, it just runs and doesn't prime. I have replaced the O ring on the pump lid, but still doesn't prime. I am not sure if we have a clog in the skimmer return lines, a clog in the pump impeller, a filter issue or a nice combination of everything. We have also noticed that the filter leaks under the edge of the multiport valve, and water leaks out of the backwash port. Any help or suggestions would be of great help! TIA!

It sounds like your "spyder" gasket on the multiport is leaking, allowing water to run out the backwash, although that probably does not effect the priming. There are several articles about repairs (use google at bottom left of this page) and a couple of youtube vids.

I would start with the priming issue with a (pool type) lube on the pump lid gasket and Teflon tape on the two drain plugs on the pump housing. Also make sure your skimmer weirs (doors) are working and water is at the proper level. What kind of pump pressure are you getting?

Pictures of the equipment pad might help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.