Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot prime pump, and leaking filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot prime pump, and leaking filter?

Hi Everyone!
    We are new to pool ownership, and having a couple issues. We recently bought a house with a large inground pool 20x40. It was left uncovered for probably 2 years. We are trying to open the pool and have run into some complications. We have a Hayward super pump, and also a Hayward sand filter. We cannot seem to get the pump to prime, after adding water to the pump basket, it just runs and doesn't prime. I have replaced the O ring on the pump lid, but still doesn't prime. I am not sure if we have a clog in the skimmer return lines, a clog in the pump impeller, a filter issue or a nice combination of everything. We have also noticed that the filter leaks under the edge of the multiport valve, and water leaks out of the backwash port. Any help or suggestions would be of great help! TIA!
    20'x40' 46K gal vinyl IG, Hayward Pro-series S-244T sand filter, Hayward super pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot prime pump, and leaking filter?

When priming the pump, are opening the vent on the filter tank to purge the air?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not see a air vent on the filter. It's a Hayward Pro Series, model S-244T. I looked up the product manual and do not see one labelled.
    20'x40' 46K gal vinyl IG, Hayward Pro-series S-244T sand filter, Hayward super pump

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like your "spyder" gasket on the multiport is leaking, allowing water to run out the backwash, although that probably does not effect the priming. There are several articles about repairs (use google at bottom left of this page) and a couple of youtube vids.

I would start with the priming issue with a (pool type) lube on the pump lid gasket and Teflon tape on the two drain plugs on the pump housing. Also make sure your skimmer weirs (doors) are working and water is at the proper level. What kind of pump pressure are you getting?

Pictures of the equipment pad might help.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I will take some pictures of the complete setup tomorrow and upload them. In the meantime, I will order a new spider gasket, retape all of the plugs and lubricate the O-ring.