Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Union Gasket Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Union Gasket Replacement

Turned the pump on this morning and my connection from pump to sand filter was leaking. I tighten it and at the moment it is not leaking. I supect the union gasket in the connection from pump to filter pipe is going bad. I have an extra gasket since it leaked earlier but quit after tightening. Has anyone changed this gasket and can give the steps to do. I'm thinking to change it I would of course loosen gasket nut on top of motor,,remove nut where water comes to pump from pool so i can move pump around some. slide motor sideways enough to clear pipe to filter and replace gasket.
    Any advise greatly needed!!
    Haywood max-flo 2 1.5 hp pump
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Union Gasket Replacement

Good morning,

My unions have on O-ring rather than a gasket so they may be a little different. That said, it sure sounds to me like you have the correct idea in mind. Posting a pic may help but, again, your procedure sounds exactly correct to me.

Is this the second time one of your pump unions has leaked?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's the first time for it leaking. Motor is 3 years old. Not a massive leak but it is leaking.Thought I would change it now before it gets any worse. I'll try to get pics when wife gets back with her camera. THANKS
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Because it's the first time and you have stopped the leak, I would be tempted to just leave it. It probably "walked" itself loose from the motor vibrations and the tightening you did (they should ONLY be hand tight) may have fixed it for the next 20 years!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks duraleigh ,, I'll keep an eye on it,,