I had a bit of algae starting to grow on the side of my spa (which is attached to my pool.) I'm not sure if it was green or yellow because I don't really have a point of reference and because there wasn't all that much of it, but I suspect it was probably yellow. I'd like to use the pool/spa tomorrow, so I put off shocking it for the moment -- I figured I'd wait until tomorrow night to shock it if I can. Since the algae only appeared to be in the spa, however, I decided to add a dose of chlorine -- i.e. enough to bring up the entire pool's FC by 1 ppm -- to the spa and set the valves so that it would circulate JUST the spa (it's a single pump system.) My thinking was that this would shock the spa, helping to quickly kill the algae present there, and that after running it this way for a bit, I could then switch the valves back to the "normal" setting of having the pump circulate both the pool AND spa, bringing the entire pool/spa down to normal chlorine levels for tomorrow.
Right after I added the chlorine, however, I started wondering about circulating such high chlorine levels through the system. I was concerned that this could this potentially damage the equipment/plumbing. Since the spa is fairly small compared to the pool, I'm guessing that the chlorine level was probably somewhere between 100 and 200 ppm for 10 or 15 minutes. In other words, it didn't run that way for very long, but is there any chance that this could have damaged any parts of the pump, filter, heater, or perhaps the glue welds on the pipes? Or, is what I did an accepted method for clearing up algae if it only appears in the spa?
Thanks for any feedback on this,