Walmart chlorine Yes or No

Jul 14, 2011
heading to walmart tomorrow and i saw the other day in there they have Aqua Chem chlorine granules,, i was wondering if that stuff is just as good as some of the higher priced stuff on line. i was going to place an order this week for some but i would save 25.00 at walmart if i got there stuff. any info would be great guys thanks.

Watch out, check to see if it contains copper, if it does don't buy it, I know I was looking at the pool section at the local Wal-Mart a year or two ago and nearly every chlorine product they sold contained copper additives.

Regardless of the brand, chlorine "granules" will have unwanted side effects on your pool. Your best bet is not to use them at all.....use liquid chlorine which has virtually no troublesome side effects.

Dave, you might want to say chlorine "granuales" MIGHT have unwanted side effects, (or will have side effects that MIGHT be unwanted) for example I just bought a couple of boxes of 1 pound bags a dichlor because my CYA level is down along with my TA and my pH is a bit high. Using about dichlor will let me address all three issues at once as it adds chlorine and CYA as well as slightly reduces pH which can then be aerated to raise TA, when one becomes a limited factor I will switch back to bleach.

Ike

As frequently happens on the forum, we make things too complex for newbies by introducing ideas that some haven't yet thought about or are ready to absorb.

OP does not post any test results so we have no idea whether or not he wants or doesn't want CH or CYA in his pool. Keep it simple by putting chlorine only in the pool and then OP does not have to weigh all the alternatives that a more experienced person like you knows automatically.

Time and time again, we see posts here from newbies saying something like, "So much info. I am a little overwhelmed but trying to absorb it"

Dave, I do agree, but as you say the OP did not include such things, and I responded based on the question asked assuming that the OP had a reasonble understanding of pool dynamics. There are probably traps that we can all fall into on either side when it comes to assuming.

Ike

p.s. thanks for the spring refill sale, it hit just at the right time for me.

duraleigh said:
Regardless of the brand, chlorine "granules" will have unwanted side effects on your pool. Your best bet is not to use them at all.....use liquid chlorine which has virtually no troublesome side effects.
where could i go about getting some of the liduid chlorine and how should i use it. is there a topic that goes into using it?

jcasper,

The Pool Calculator will tell you haw much Clorox to put in your pool. Post back if you have questions. All this stuff is a little new at first but there are hundreds of us here that will help you.

The Pool Calculator will need to know the size of your pool and then it will help you calculate dosages. When you get a chance, go to Pool School and start by reading, "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". That'll probably stimulate some more questions and we'll be glad to help. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also you don't have to buy the expensive brand name Clorox, any plain unscented bleach will work, just read the label to make sure you are not buying the really weak stuff, you will find it in a few different strengths:

12% Usually sold as Liquid Chlorine in pool stores, or pool departments of big box stores (this is also sold as 12% Bleach by janitorial and cleaning supply companies, most often in larger containers for institutional laundry programs)

5.25% or 6% Bleach The most common household bleach, brand name Chlorox is in this range

3% bleach (mostly cheap generic stuff)

1% this is the bottom of the barrel, ultra cheap junk, and thankfully rarely seen (it still would work, but would require 6 jugs to equal one jug of the better brand name bleach, and you may get tired carrying that much)

Ike

p.s. one more thing, be ware of 12% liquid chlorine on sale at pool stores this time of year, bleach looses its strength with age, and that 12% on sale that has been sitting around since last year is likley no longer really 12% (actual % depends on storage temerature and time)

jcasper said:
duraleigh said:
where could i go about getting some of the liduid chlorine and how should i use it. is there a topic that goes into using it?

I just picked up 4.5 gallons of 6% regular chlorox bleach at Costco for like 8 or 9 bucks (regular price). Best deal I've found so far.

Home Depot or Lowes might sell liquid chlorine in their swimming pool department, or even Wal-Mart. :) Around here (Tucson area) it seems you can get the 10% liquid chlorine almost everywhere there's pool departments. 2 gallons of 10% usually sells for a little under $7.00.

Just watch out for old stock on liquid Chlorine as it looses strength over time, I saw a whole shrink wrapped pallet at one of the big box stores in the spring a year or two ago in the sheltered part of their garden department that was so old that it labels were sun bleached and the cardboard boxes were rotting,

big_g said:
I just picked up 4.5 gallons of 6% regular chlorox bleach at Costco for like 8 or 9 bucks (regular price). Best deal I've found so far.

I assume you mean 4.26 gals? I bought at Sam's Club here (no Costco in my area) in cases of 3 jugs x 1.42 gal (182 oz)/jug for $8.52/case ($2/gal).

Anyone know why the jugs are such an odd size? They don't work out to an even number of liters either. Just curious. I didn't check shipping weight. Maybe that works out even or cost effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.