Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: homemade heat exchanger to heat pool with open pit fire

1. Back To Top    #1

homemade heat exchanger to heat pool with open pit fire

Anyone ever build a homemade heat exchanger using copper pipe, transfer pump and hoses to heat a pool in the spring/fall? I have free wood and really don't want to pay to heat the pool. I've been looking for a heat exchanger design that would simply "set" in the fire. Any tips would be appreciated. I do understand that most of the heat will be given to the atmosphere.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: homemade heat exchanger to heat pool with open pit fire

Welcome to TFP!

It takes really large amounts of heat to heat a pool, really really large. There is a fun website describing how someone made a pool heater out of a gas grill. I am sure something similar would work for a wood fire. But unless you have several cords of wood chopped and ready just sitting around and plan on tending the fire for days at a time, don't expect to get real amounts of heat out of anything along these lines.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School