pool frog

Im thinking about the mineral chlorine pool kit. Does it perform like tricolor? On the fence with this system, the bbb system, and a standard off line chlorinator,or go for the big buck saltwater generator

I would avoid mineral/metal based systems. Metals can sometimes cause unsightly stains that are expensive to remove. There simply isn't any reason to run a risk of that happening.

Personally, I prefer having a SWG, but liquid chlorine/bleach is also a good choice. Trichlor pucks are attractive at first, by far the simplest for a time, but then down the road your CYA level will build up and that can cause dramatic problems.

doctnj said:
what does everyone think about the pool frog?

Expensive, and not needed.

When I bought my house, the previous owner raved about it. I bought two cartridges, and was stunned how fast they emptied (at $20 a pop).

I spent the first year trying to scrub off the greenish stain from my liner. Only now do I realize that it was the "frog" that caused it (copper from the mineral pac).

Skip the frog, skip the pucks, skip the powder. SWG or bleach.

Ok looked at compupool. Saw several, 5 or 6, reviews that kind of said the same thing. I.e. unit keeps shutting off etc. So I am leaning toward the Hayward aquarite system. Quite a bit more expensive but I like lower maintenance. I have had a hot tub for a while now and I am pretty poor at keeping that thing in balance.
The other nice thing about the Hayward is it uses 2" connectors and that is what I have plumbed everything with.

Now question????

My electrician who is going to be running wires to outside box etc. I was going to have him put in a mechanical timer for the pump so it wont run continuously. Should I be looking at a digital and have the generator on that timer as well? How does that work? Will it hurt anything for water not to be running if the unit is on?

You definitely want the SWG turned off when the pump is off. However the timer works it is simple enough to power the SWG from the same switched line the pump is powered from.

The Intermatic mechanical times are inexpensive, extremely reliable, and just about fool proof. Not all of the digital timers are worth the extra money, though a few of them are quite nice. For a simple setup, such as yours, I would tend to go with a mechanical timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The generator is ordered. Said it would be 4 to 7 days shipping time. Meanwhile another question. Apparently the controller is digital. Now if the controller gets turned off with the timer will it come back up as programed? Not reset? Just trying to wrap my brain around how all of it goes together. I read the manual online already and there is a common theme in all of these manuals. They never quite answere the questions I seem to have! :wink:

Also is it better to have a timer or just let the pump run all the time?

my pool is 18 x 36 and a 1 hp super pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.