Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Gas Heater Rapidly Switching On and Off

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Jandy Gas Heater Rapidly Switching On and Off

It seems like everything that could go wrong is during this spring startup. Now my 4 year old heater (Jandy Lite 2) is acting up. There's a switch or valve that makes a loud clicking noise. It sounds like its trying to start or ignite the gas. The switch clicks like a few times a second. The odd thing is this happens after the heater is on for a while.

Is there something that keeps the flame going? The ignitor is only used to start things, not maintain them right?

As far as I know the gas source is fine. But if the gas source is bad maybe the gas stops and the ignitor is trying to restart things.

Any other possible issues?

TIA,
    Kevin
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy Gas Heater Rapidly Switching On and Off

What's the model number of the heater?

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Flame rectifier keeps the gas valve open. If the gas jet right under the rect. begins to become obstructed(spider web is most common) the heater will begin to act as you describe, eventually will fire, then shut down, then repeat.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Model number is LJ250N. Are there common issues with certain models?

I think I might know what it is. After a few hours of running, air builds up in my solar panels and passes through the heater and to the pool. I read in the heater manual the frequent switching on and off can be because of air in the system. So today I bypassed the solar panels and so far so good, no problems.

Now I need to find how air is getting into the solar panels. I know there's a type of pressure relief fitting on the top of the panels plumbing. I suspect that could bring air into the system.
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller