No CYA

logan

Apr 27, 2012
Hi I could use some help . I am trying to get my pool open and just got my test kit in today by the way it is great if anyone is looking for one I got Taylor from TKTestkits. I did the Cya test and it shows nothing it is clear I could see the black dot completely. We have SWG and it has been on 24/7 at 100 percent except for about 12 hours which I had a problem. We shocked it when we open it 5 days ago. These are the test I have ran with my new kit this evening.
FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 3.0
CYA 0
PH 7.5
Can someone tell me what I should do, the water is clear in the lower in , deep in can see bottom but not clear yet.
Pool size is 24 by 48 and 4foot deep going to 8 feet.
I am very new at this and could use help please.
Thanks

Since you mention that your pool is not completely clear, and you have some CC, it sounds like you are not done shocking. You should follow the directions in Pool School and make sure you meet all the criteria before you stop shocking.

As for CYA, you should put some in your pool. Liquid CYA (sometimes called stabilizer) will mix faster than granular CYA. You will probably want to get CYA up to about 20-30 right away, go through the shocking process, then raise CYA up to about 70 (since you have a SWCG).

JasonLion said:
I would skip the liquid CYA and stick with solid, the solid is half the price. Any speed differences are trivial and don't make a practical difference.
Very true. Sorry if my comment was misunderstood. What I meant was, don't worry if you CYA doesn't show up on your test right away if you use granular. I think it usually takes about 24 hours for granular to register on your CYA test.

Until you are sure you have completed the shock process ( pool-school/shocking_your_pool ) only add enough CYA to get to about 30.

After you complete the shock process, then you can increase the CYA to 60 - 80 for your SWG.

Granular CYA can take up to a week to fully register on the test.

We suggest the sock method to add the CYA to the pool. After CYA has dissolved from the sock you can 'assume' it is in the water and adjust the FC/Shock levels accordingly.

You should use bleach/liquid chlorine for the shock process. SWG's cannot produce enough chlorine fast enough to reach shock levels.

Congratulations on getting a good test kit. Have you found your other new best frinend, the PoolCalculator? :)

Post back with any quesitons you have and someone will be around to help.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.