Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA under 20, how to raise it after no drain acid wash

1. Back To Top    #1

TA under 20, how to raise it after no drain acid wash

Hi again everyone. I recently did the 1st test of the season and i realised that my TA has dropped to 0-20. I'm guessing this is because each time my solar heating switches on it injects a load of air into the pool causing aeriation and loss of carbonates.
    Anyway, I've started a no-drain acid wash try to clean off some iron oxide staining and dropped the pH to 4 and scrubbing like mad.
    My question is this; what is the best method I could use to raise the TA back up to at least 80 (to keep my CSI in range) once I let the pH drift back up (as it has a tendency to).
    I was thinking of using Bicarb of Soda but I thought it best run it by you experts first.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA under 20, how to raise it after no drain acid wash

It depends on how low your PH is right now. If your PH is more or less normal the Bicarb of Soda is great. But if your PH is really really low (as it sometimes is after a no drain acid wash) then you want to use borax or soda ash.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your swift reply Jason. I only have Boric acid available ( and my borates are at 50 already where I would like them to stay).
    I do have "Sodium hydrogen carbonate" available. Would that be any good if the pH is really low (for example 4) ?
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not going to raise your pH real quick, but it will raise your TA.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks "Melt in the sun", just what I need to know.

6. Back To Top    #6

"Sodium hydrogen carbonate" is baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). After adding it, aerate to outgas the carbon dioxide.