How long should I run the filter pump and SWG?

Jun 17, 2011
North Texas
We have a new pool (2 months old), and when I got home today, the pool has a slightly green tinge.

I travel Monday through Thursday almost every week, so I'm not able to watch it every day. And I don't know enough yet to even teach my wife. :(

So here's my immediate question; air temps are running about 90 degrees here in north Texas, but I'm only running the pump from 10am to 2pm. Is that enough time for the SWG to do it's work? Should I run it more than that?

I have the TF100 test kit, and I'll get some numbers tonight and share them here for a second round of questions/advice.

Each pool is different, so no one person can give you a correct time.
Follow this article from the Pool School section of the site to get a start on it.
You'll need to adjust your SWG accordingly to find out it's optimal output for your run time.

I run my filter about 9 hours a day with my SWG at 40% during the heat of the day.
If I lowered my pump run time I would need to raise my SWG output accordingly, as well if I raised my pump run time, I could potentially lower my SWG output.

Man, I run mine 4 hours a day in our so-called winter! I'm at 8 hours a day now since the temps have held steady. No SWG here though. Run it continuously while shocking. Running from 10 am to 6 pm now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.