Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should I run the filter pump and SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Flower Mound, TX

How long should I run the filter pump and SWG?

We have a new pool (2 months old), and when I got home today, the pool has a slightly green tinge.

I travel Monday through Thursday almost every week, so I'm not able to watch it every day. And I don't know enough yet to even teach my wife.

So here's my immediate question; air temps are running about 90 degrees here in north Texas, but I'm only running the pump from 10am to 2pm. Is that enough time for the SWG to do it's work? Should I run it more than that?

I have the TF100 test kit, and I'll get some numbers tonight and share them here for a second round of questions/advice.
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How long should I run the filter pump and SWG?

Either up the percentage on the SWG or increase the run time; obviously you're not getting enough chlorine. What's the CYA level? You'll need to shock for sure, so you'll need to pick up some bleach too.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cincinnati, OH

Each pool is different, so no one person can give you a correct time.
    Follow this article from the Pool School section of the site to get a start on it.
    You'll need to adjust your SWG accordingly to find out it's optimal output for your run time.

I run my filter about 9 hours a day with my SWG at 40% during the heat of the day.
    If I lowered my pump run time I would need to raise my SWG output accordingly, as well if I raised my pump run time, I could potentially lower my SWG output.

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

Man, I run mine 4 hours a day in our so-called winter! I'm at 8 hours a day now since the temps have held steady. No SWG here though. Run it continuously while shocking. Running from 10 am to 6 pm now.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!