ph problems with SWG

Apr 26, 2011
Installed a SWG in December and have been having troubles maintaining pH. It just keeps creeping up.

First a little history. I bought the house 2 years ago and hired a pool guy to maintain it. I simply didn't have the time and it was something easy to outsource. When other home improvement projects started tapering off, I took over the pool maintenance, but by then the damage had already been done. CYA levels were through the roof, well over 150.

So after reading up on SWGs, decided I needed to have one. Installed it and drained the pool. I've been cautious on CyA though as I do not want to repeat the scenario where CYA is so high that I have to drain and refill.

Water chemistry is approximately:
FC - around 4ppm typically
pH - typically 8+
TA - 70-80
CYA - 50
Salt - 350ppm
Borates - 50ppm

So I'm guessing my CYA is too low? Based on this I'd say so - pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
Does it really need to be in the 60-80 range with the constant chlorine production from the SWG while the pump is running (6 hours per day during daylight hours)? My usual problem is I get the pH down to 7.5 with acid and then a week later it is back up to 8

It's common to have rising pH with a swcg. You can try lowering your TA to about 60 and raising your CYA up to 70. Raising the CYA up to 70 will allow you to turn the swcg down a bit which will in turn, not raise the pH quite as fast. Also lowering the TA will help the outgassing which raises the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.