Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calcium Hardness is Ridiculous???

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness is Ridiculous???

Throughout this entire time I've been battling algae, my calcium hardness has been ridiculous. I figure I have at least replaced 50% of the pools volume with fresh water. I know we live in an area with hard water, but my calcium hardness doesn't seem to go down. So I'm thinking replacement is not really helping change the level much. My question is if I don't drain again and add more water, what will my high calcium hardness do?

My test results as of this morning:

FC=6.0
    CC=.5
    PH=9.0
    TA=170
    CH=420
    CYA-45

I know I need to adjust my PH and TA, but I really hate to do another partial drain to lower my CH.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness is Ridiculous???

You're correct in that the ph level of 9, if accurate, is way [WAY] too high. You need to get it below 7.8 as soon as possible. How was this level determined?

Have you checked the calcium hardness of your fill water?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

I used my Taylor K-2006. Just added 51 oz of muriatic acid to lower my PH to approximately 7.0 per pool school calculator. I will test the fill water shortly.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a few people on here that have 4 digit CH. So it can be managed by keeping your other parameters in check.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

For example:
    3 May 12, our pool.

CH-425
    TA-110
    pH-7.5
    CC-0
    FC-3
    CYA-30
    Temp-80 degrees
    CSI-.3

CSI below .5- acceptable.

Tom
    20k gal. 36' In ground Med. Blue plaster, two-speed EcoPump EP6, Pentair 3.14 sq. Ft. Sand w/zeosand, Spectralight SL 500, RayPak 2100 heater, Polaris 360,GE Timer 15087, Borates 80 ppm.

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine was starting to inch up over 430 before I did a partial drain. I got it down to 320 but it has inched back up to 360. My plaster is still new so I'm guessing the calcium is still leeching from the plaster. My fill water CH is 160 as well.
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo® VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

7. Back To Top    #7

My CH is at 700. I keep all other parameters in strict control, though, so no problems.

If it gets into four digits, only then will I look at a reverse osmosis treatment.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you measured the calcium hardness of your fill water?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep. It's so high that…
    • In the middle of the night, my daughter wakes up and asks for a glass of "chalk juice"[/*:m:1ze09yod]
    • My mother's advanced osteoporosis cleared up since moving here[/*:m:1ze09yod]
    • There are routine incidents of Helvetica*[/*:m:1ze09yod]

(*If anyone gets this reference, I'll be shocked—and not like a pool, but super-surprised shocked!)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by nutjob
    Yep. It's so high that…
    • In the middle of the night, my daughter wakes up and asks for a glass of "chalk juice"[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]
    • My mother's advanced osteoporosis cleared up since moving here[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]
    • There are routine incidents of Helvetica*[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]

(*If anyone gets this reference, I'll be shocked—and not like a pool, but super-surprised shocked!)
    Ah,letting fonts rule your daily life! You might just be a nutjob! LOL
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Boy I will take 420 anyday. My CH has been 600- 700 however I manage it weekly by keeping the rest of the parameters in check. I recently rigged up a downspout to add rainwater to our pool and the CH is now 575.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

12. Back To Top    #12

When our CH hit 600 after 7 years i had all sorts of problems regulating my SWG. This spring I drained the pool and refilled it. After getting everything in balance initially the water has been crystal clear since with no CH build up. Right now my CH is around 220. I'm guessing it was about a $80.00 for the water refill cost. That's alot cheaper in the long run than to continiously dump in chemicals like Leslie's wanted me to do.
    I have also rigged up a rain water catch drain system.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

13. Back To Top    #13

My CH is 890!!!!! I'm dealing, wish it wasn't there, but that is what you get for buying pool store junk. My fill water is 440, and that doesn't help either. I don't have osteoperosis either.
    9400 Gallon Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, 20 foot round, 4 feet deep 2 filter cartidges one Type B in the skimmer, and a C-50 hayward in the big box, 1/2 Horsepower Dynaflo Pump. TF100 Test Kit, well water, clean with Iron used for filling (CH of fill water is 450).

14. Back To Top    #14

You guys make me laugh. Thanks for the feedback.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

15. Back To Top    #15

Happy to read that its not a complete tragedy that my CH levels are 800+. The drops actually sizzled when I added them to my pool water to test for calcium hardness! LOL! It sounds like as long as I keep all other levels in check then the white powder on the bottom of my pool is an inconvenience and not much more. Am I right? or did I misinterpret something. I added clarifier today to help remove some of that chalk, so we'll see if it works. Any other suggestions?
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

sounds like as long as I keep all other levels in check then the white powder on the bottom of my pool is an inconvenience and not much more.
    Keep your pH on the lower side of normal....7.2 - 7.4 and you probably won't get any more white powder (if it is calcium precipitate)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Good to know! Thanks!
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Lots of rain down here in South Florida over the past few weeks so I've been vacuuming to waste like crazy and the rain has been refilling the pool. Calcium is now down around 500. That combined with your tip to lower Ph and I can now see my feet when I walk in the pool! It's looking good...so good in fact I just had a Memorial Day Party and my neighbors wanted to know my secret for such a beautiful pool...I sent them to TFP of course! Thanks again to everyone for all the help over the past couple of years!

19. Back To Top    #19

With the recent rains from Tropical Storm Beryl I am happy to have reduced my CH level to 300. I have never had this as our CH level in our water vary from 150 to 180. The pool looks much better with lower CH
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

20. Back To Top    #20

Well after even MORE rain since Memorial Day and 2 days of vacuuming to waste I am now in the high end of "normal" range for CH...400! Woohoo! very excited and happy that I did NOT drain the pool. They are reasons to be happy for the rainy season after all! Another week or so of this weather and I may have to add Calcium! LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast