New cell- false low salt

fixit3

May 4, 2012
After learning the hard way not to trust the reading from the control panel, I have realized that my AquaRite T Cell15 was dead and my pool was way too high in salt. The salt situation has been corrected and I am now at 3400 ppm. I bought a Compupool generic replacement cell for the system and installed it a few days ago to find that it reads 1200 to 1400 ppm. That low salt level shuts off the system every time. I have attempted to recalibrate (take instantaneous salt reading) the cell but it wont climb above 1400. I did notice that while the voltage appears to be in the appropriate range (24 to 25V), the amps run about 3.2 to 3.6A. What I cant determine is what the cause is. Compupool dismisses this as a control panel problem, Hayward claims that if the panel is able to run diagnostics and provide readings, then the problem must be a compatibility issue with a generic cell. Im at my wits end with all of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

Pool size - 34,000 gallons

Sorry I am not really sure what to recommend. The problem is that it is always going to be the other guys fault.

Hopefully this bump will help to generate more comments.

Sorry you are having issues with your new generic replacement cell.
I just replaced my T-15 cell. You are confirming my decision to not buy a generic unit, even though it was a bit cheaper. Compatibility was my major concern.

What did you use to determine salt levels? I have found those test strips to be wildly inaccurate at times. Do you have a friend or neighbor with a similiar system so that you can borrow a cell that you know is working? I think I even remember Leslie's will check out a cell no charge or may even loan you one so you can determine what is not working.

When the old cell was still working, it typically measured about 400 ppm low, which isnt unusual. This new cell is reading less than half of the actual salt content. After a third conversation with the cell manufacturer, they identified that their cell appears to be operating correctly (which with the clear casing I can visually verify), but communicating with the AquaRite panel incorrectly. They have seen this happen "very rarely", and to their credit, they are sending a new cell. I'll keep you updated as to whether this works.

chiefwej said:
I just replaced my T-15 cell. You are confirming my decision to not buy a generic unit, even though it was a bit cheaper. Compatibility was my major concern.
Where did you get your T-15 cell? Did you go with the 1-year or 3-year warranty? Thanks.

agenterf said:
chiefwej said:
Where did you get your T-15 cell? Did you go with the 1-year or 3-year warranty? Thanks.
My original cell lasted over six years, so I decided it was worth it to pop for the genuine cell with three year warranty. I did some searching online and it didn't seem that there was a lot of price variance. I ended up buying one through Amazon for a bit under $500. But what the heck, $500 divided by six years is $83 per year for chlorine. Well to be fair I would have to allow a bit extra for the electricity to run it.....but still a good deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.