Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Robotic Pool Cleaner Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Robotic Pool Cleaner Help!!

I apologize as I am sure this has been asked multiple times, but I am stuck on what cleaner to get. I purchased a Dolphin DX4 last week and returned it within 3 days as it missed about half of my 16 X 34 inground pool. I have read a million reviews on all sorts of cleaners and have no idea what to get. I am not concerned with price, I just want one that works and cleans the entire pool. I have been using a Kreepy Krawly for years and it does a good job. I am just tired of baby sitting it and would rather have something that does not use my pump. I have a vinyl pool liner if that matters. I live in Minnesota so the pool is usually open from May through September.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best Robotic Pool Cleaner Help!!

I don't think you can expect ANY cleaner to get every sq ft of surface area on the first cycle. I run my robot for two cycles (3 hrs total) and it get 95% of my floor area. The other 5% will have to wait for the next cleaning cycle.

So let me EXAGGERATE something for you. What you pay for in most cleaners is cleaning power.....the ability to get the most cleaning done in the least amount of time. So, if price is no object, a $6000 robot will probably clean your pool in 30 minutes but it STILL may miss a spot. A $1000 dollar robot will probably clean your pool in 60-90 minutes but it may ALSO miss a spot or two. The solution is to run it two cycles instead of one.

Unlike what the advertising would have you believe, these cleaners have no brain and just randomly crawl around your pool until the pool is clean. No matter how much you pay, you can still miss some surface area so you have to run it longer until it covers the entire surface.

FWIW, about a $1000 robot should be just about right for you pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was in much the same situaiton a couple of years ago when my last Kreepy Krawly style cleaner fell apart and decided to try the robotic cleaner route, I ended up buying a used Dolphin Dynamics cleaner off ebay for a couple of hundred dollars just to try it out, and am still using it today. The model I bought has the handle that can be set to tend to circle left or tend to circle right, in my case it seems to always get stuck between the ladder and the corner going one way, but not the other, I suspect you may find similar problems with any robotic cleaner, depending on the individual pool shape, you just have to find one that works for you.

Ike.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I don't think you can expect ANY cleaner to get every sq ft of surface area on the first cycle. I run my robot for two cycles (3 hrs total) and it get 95% of my floor area. The other 5% will have to wait for the next cleaning cycle.

So let me EXAGGERATE something for you. What you pay for in most cleaners is cleaning power.....the ability to get the most cleaning done in the least amount of time. So, if price is no object, a $6000 robot will probably clean your pool in 30 minutes but it STILL may miss a spot. A $1000 dollar robot will probably clean your pool in 60-90 minutes but it may ALSO miss a spot or two. The solution is to run it two cycles instead of one.

Unlike what the advertising would have you believe, these cleaners have no brain and just randomly crawl around your pool until the pool is clean. No matter how much you pay, you can still miss some surface area so you have to run it longer until it covers the entire surface.

FWIW, about a $1000 robot should be just about right for you pool.
    Thanks for the info. I don't care if the cleaner takes a few hours, I just want something reliable that won't frustrate the **** out of me. I need to purchase one quick and just don't want to choose the wrong one. I have seen some decent reviews of the Smart Clean NC71RC, but nobody sells it locally so buying it online is about my only option and then returning it if it doesn't work properly is an issue...

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the Dolphin M4 in my 14x28 vinyl IG and I think it does great!
    14x28 13,200 gal IG Vinyl
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Years ago I bought a Dolphin, and used it for about two weeks before returning it to Costco (no questions asked). It missed half the floor in my 20 by 40 in ground pool and at times would just go in a straight line about 20 feet and then reverse.

After much research I bought a Blue Pearl which is the baby version of the Blue Diamond. It has worked great for me for over five years. I just replaced the cleaning pads and tracks and it is working better than ever. I highly recommend it and you can find it online for around $600.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

7. Back To Top    #7

3 years ago I would have highly recommended the Aquabot T2.

And although I still LOVE this cleaner and think it is a life saver, it has cost me a fortune ever since.

2 years ago the main motor went bad. Cost me over $400 to fix.
    This year the drive motor went bad and cost me close to $500 to fix.

Not to mention changing out a few parts here and there and the ridiculously overpriced bag a few times.

It does clean the pool extremely well when it works, but there is nothing worse than finding out you need to dump $500 into a pool cleaner in the late spring.

If I was going to dump this and go with something new, I would go as cheap as possible. They all work relatively the same and as people said above you need multiple passes to get the pool super clean. I usually run my bot for about 4 to 6 hours.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been through about 4 pool cleaners and have found my soul mate in the Aquabot Supreme. Last summer it cost me $725 from pool store. I see their price went up this year!!! I don't need to have my pool clean in 30 minutes. I pamper my pool in the morning, so I put it in and by mid morning/early afternoon, pool is clean. (3-4 hours). Love it, no problems so far. Only irritation is cleaning the bag. So I bought a spare and rotate them. Very happy with results and hassle free maintenance so far.

(I've been through 2 pressure side cleaners; Pool Buster Vac (what a bust!); and now the Aquabot).
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Polaris 9300. It does a great job and it is easy to empy and clean the mesh bag.
    36X18 Inground Pool, SWG, Hayward Pump, Hayward gas heater, Undertrack Auto Cover, Interfab basketball system, TF-100 Test kit, Polaris 9300 Robot Cleaner, Pool Completed July 29 2010

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Do it by hand, it's way quicker, more thorough, and a huge amount cheaper!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a Polaris 9300 and it works great. I usually go through both cycles - one goes a little higher on the sides and we're set for another day. Been running it for 1 1/2 years with no issues. I like electric and the ease of cleaning.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    Do it by hand, it's way quicker, more thorough, and a huge amount cheaper!

Maybe if one has a small pool like yours, but not the case with a larger pool. My Blue Pearl does a great job all the time and all I have to do it put it in the pool.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just bought the Dolphin Premier ....
    Details to follow once it comes inand we test this thing out.
    16 x 36 IG Vinyl 27,000 gal, AutoPilot DG-220 SWG RC-42, Dolphin Premier bot.

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought a Dolphin Z5. I love it so far. I love the top cartridges and it does its job well. I was debating on buying a cheaper one, but once you have dropped the money on the pool what is a few hundred extra?
    Russell,

IG 11K gemstone freeform w/ waterfalls, Jandy 2HP ePump, CL460 Cartridge Filter, 400K Legacy Heater, Nicheless LEDs, AquaPure SWG, Aqualink, Dolphin Z5, TF-100.

15. Back To Top    #15

Aquacal ACLEAN1 Does a great job in my pool.
    19k gal, IG, Rectangle, Pebble, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge, Intelliflo VS Pump, IntellichlorSWG, Aquacal SQ-155 Heatpump, Aquaclean Aclean1 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Dec 2013, Jacksonville FL

16. Back To Top    #16

Just completed my 9th season with my Aquavac (now Hayward) Tigershark. Had to replace an impeller once, but no other problems.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

17. Back To Top    #17

I've had my Tigershark around 8 years. I've replaced the treads and filters that's it.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

18. Back To Top    #18

I will say that the dolphin primal x3 I have now is a huge step down from my blue diamond remote. I didn't think there would be that much of a difference. Even my old dolphin diagnostic(first robot) was better than this. However, it depends on what you need it for. My next pool at the new house is basically kidney shaped so if the thing just bounces off the walls it will make it around fine, my current pool is basically rectangular with one part of the long sides going out a foot more in the center section. This makes it much tougher for a robot that can't turn on the bottom. Doesnt need to be a split wheel design that can turn on a dime on the bottom, my cobia could pulse the motors and still make almost 90 degree turns, I believe the blue diamond/pearl do this too.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes. Since you need the best pool vacuum, why don't you take a look at several alternatives, see if you need some extra special ones!