Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which test results to believe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which test results to believe?

I have been using a color q water tester and thought that it wasn't reading correctly. The pool store that I was comparing it to is using an electronic strip reader attached to their computer. My results are way off from theirs. I am trying to lower alkalinity by lowering ph with muratic acid and then aerating. I was getting tired of running to pool store to sample my water while doing this, because I thought my tester was not working. So I bought some hth 6 way testers to keep track of my progress. To my surprise the hth strips match my color q tester very close, although I cannot test TC with the hth strips, the FC on both read close enough to assume the TC on the color q is correct. Ph, ALK, and CYA all match my color q.

I was about ready to send the color q to Lamotte, after talking to them they said they could check it out for me. Reagents I am using have 1 year left before expiring.

So my question now is do I believe my color q and the hth strips or the pool store?
    20'x40' inground, vinyl 38,000 gal. Auto Cover. Sand filter 300#. 1 1/2 hp pump. Pentair master temp 250 heater. Circupool Si60 chorine generator. TF-100 test kit. Borates--life is good😎.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Which test results to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFan_1
    So my question now is do I believe my color q and the hth strips or the pool store?
    Unfortunately all three of those methods can be inaccurate. You can search on this site and read about problems with all three (google search on lower left of page). We recommend a good drop based test kit that includes a FAS-DPD FC test. Follow the link in my sig on test kits, there is a note at then end of that article discussing the colorq.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

As Linen said, a good drop based kit is best, but if I HAD to choose I'd go with your own testing. ColorQ's can have problems, but when they're right they're pretty good. Pool store's tests are a gamble. You never know if they're close and they may be close on one and way out on another.

You could buy a TF-50 and use it every once in a while to check your ColorQ. The kit would most likely be cheaper than sending the ColorQ back for testing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mount Airy, Maryland

I would trust the ColorQ over the store results. My ColorQ results fair well with my TF100 test kit.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit