Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump has lost pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump has lost pressure

Ok.. My 1HP sand pump/filter combo has lost almost all pressure. When i initially turned it on it was blowing very hard. Its been running for only one week now. (8 hours aat a time) Tonight I noticed none of the floats were pulling twords the skimmer so i cheaked the pressure and found taht it was barly blowing out. The pump number thing is on 5.

this is a generic "roaring river" brand and it is unbelieveabley loud...

any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Pump has lost pressure

Check that the skimmer is clear and staying full of water, and that the pump strainer basket is clean.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

skimmer clear and completely full of water. strainer also clear and clean....

4. Back To Top    #4

What type of filter do you have? You may have a clogged filter. If it's a sand filter, backwash and see if that helps. I have no experience with any other type of filter so I'll leave that to someone else.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

What is your filter pressure when pump is running? What is it when the pump is not running?

Do you have air in the pump strainer basket?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.