Jandy Valve Sizing

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
When looking at Jandy valves there are 2 sizes listed 1.5/2 2/2.5, I assume the PVC can either go inside the valve or outside, correct? Is there a better way, inside or out? Or is this just to narrow down the sizes for more of a universal design for Jandy to produce fewer valve sizes instead of 4 sizes make 2?

The smaller number is the size pipe that will slide into the valve. The larger number is the size pipe that matches the valve pipe size and requires a coupler.

I do not think is is normal to slip the pipe on the outside of the valve. Otherwise you can imagine there would be a quick reduction in pipe size for the flow.

So if you want fewer connections and not have to buy couplers, get the size where your pipe will slide into the valve. The internals are the same and the head loss is basically the same regardless of the pipe size you use with the valve.

What if you are replacing the valve and need to use 90deg fittings at the valve? Would a 1.5" Elbow fit into the valve opening of a 1.5" valve or would it require a different size? It would be easiest if I could use the elbows in the fashion as then it would line up with the two return pipes I'm mounting this on.

Elbows are designed so that the pipe slips into them, so use pipe between the elbow and the valve. My equipment pad uses some elbows near the valves and there are pics in my pool thread, link in sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.