Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Valve Sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy Valve Sizing

When looking at Jandy valves there are 2 sizes listed 1.5/2 2/2.5, I assume the PVC can either go inside the valve or outside, correct? Is there a better way, inside or out? Or is this just to narrow down the sizes for more of a universal design for Jandy to produce fewer valve sizes instead of 4 sizes make 2?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy Valve Sizing

The smaller number is the size pipe that will slide into the valve. The larger number is the size pipe that matches the valve pipe size and requires a coupler.

I do not think is is normal to slip the pipe on the outside of the valve. Otherwise you can imagine there would be a quick reduction in pipe size for the flow.

So if you want fewer connections and not have to buy couplers, get the size where your pipe will slide into the valve. The internals are the same and the head loss is basically the same regardless of the pipe size you use with the valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What if you are replacing the valve and need to use 90deg fittings at the valve? Would a 1.5" Elbow fit into the valve opening of a 1.5" valve or would it require a different size? It would be easiest if I could use the elbows in the fashion as then it would line up with the two return pipes I'm mounting this on.
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Elbows are designed so that the pipe slips into them, so use pipe between the elbow and the valve. My equipment pad uses some elbows near the valves and there are pics in my pool thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You can get street elbows that would slip directly into the valves if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!