Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Does dead algae 'settle'?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Does dead algae 'settle'?

    I've been shocking my pool for a week, and the FC is holding better and better. The color, however, is not changing all that well, and I there is a white film that has settled on the bottom of the pool. It rises up in the water when I brush, but then settles back to the bottom within an hour or so. Is that Algae, or do I have another problem?
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    341

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Dead algae can settle to the bottom of the pool and is often a whitish color.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpacheco72
    Dead algae can settle to the bottom of the pool and is often a whitish color.
    Thanks - I'm assuming that's what this is. But it is settling and not making it's way to the filter. Do I vacuum to get it up?
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    maxepr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    716

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Vac. to waste with a HAND vac. if possible.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester


    Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Vac. to waste with a HAND vac. if possible.
    Thanks - will do tomorrow!
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    maxepr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    716

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan0805
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Vac. to waste with a HAND vac. if possible.
    Thanks - will do tomorrow!
    Do yourself a favor and fill the pool right to the rim, so tomorrow when your vacing your be able to keep going without running out of water. And the pool will be settled down by then.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester


    Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Mickey,

    An important part of the shock process is vacuuming and brushing. Your pool will never clear until you perform those tasks on a regular basis.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Mickey,

    An important part of the shock process is vacuuming and brushing. Your pool will never clear until you perform those tasks on a regular basis.
    I've been brushing every day, but haven't been able to see the bottom and haven't been vacuuming. It is clear I need to give it a shot anyway.
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan0805
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Vac. to waste with a HAND vac. if possible.
    Thanks - will do tomorrow!
    Do yourself a favor and fill the pool right to the rim, so tomorrow when your vacing your be able to keep going without running out of water. And the pool will be settled down by then.
    I have the water running right now. But, how full is too full? I know I'll pump a lot out when doing the vacuuming, but I also know you're not supposed to have a pool too full. So, how high do I take it for this process?
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    maxepr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    716

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Kind of a guessing game? How much vacing do you have to do? As long as it's not going to rain I would fill it to the top of the skimmer. It's just for a short period of time. When vacing you are going to want to go SUPER slow as not to stir it all up to the point you can't see the bottom. This burns up allot of water! Before you know it it's gone! If you don't have allot to clean up then don't go as high. But after vacing adding water will not allow you to hit it again for awhile until the bottom settles down.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester


    Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Kind of a guessing game? How much vacing do you have to do? As long as it's not going to rain I would fill it to the top of the skimmer. It's just for a short period of time. When vacing you are going to want to go SUPER slow as not to stir it all up to the point you can't see the bottom. This burns up allot of water! Before you know it it's gone! If you don't have allot to clean up then don't go as high. But after vacing adding water will not allow you to hit it again for awhile until the bottom settles down.
    Thanks - I'll go for that. I have a LOT of vacuuming to do. Unfortunately, I can't see the bottom for about 2/3 of the pool (anything beyond the shallowest portions). But, I'll do my best!
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    31

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Im having the same problem.Cant get it to clear,hanging on to the cloudy light green.Its going
    on a week now.I understand the brushing every day part,didnt know it also needed vacuuming.
    I thought when you brush it would suspend algae and get filtered through. I would love a little
    more IN-DEPTH explanation of why we need to vacuum.Thanks
    16x34 kidney shape 19,000 gal vinyl IG
    Pentair IC-20 SWG
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair 1HP pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: Does dead algae 'settle'?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluskyguy
    Im having the same problem.Cant get it to clear,hanging on to the cloudy light green.Its going
    on a week now.I understand the brushing every day part,didnt know it also needed vacuuming.
    I thought when you brush it would suspend algae and get filtered through. I would love a little
    more IN-DEPTH explanation of why we need to vacuum.Thanks
    I am a newbie to all of this - so I have no expert (or even novice) input to offer. However, here is what I am noticing on my end...

    I started shocking the pool last Saturday. FC levels rose quickly and started holding after a couple of days. However, because I have a DE filter, the severe amount of algae in the pool would clog the filter to the point of needing to be backwashed within 90 minutes. The problem with this was that I was getting very little circulation and filtering (I couldn't run it while sleeping or at work because I would be away from it for too long). The end result was that I was only getting about 5 hours of filtering a day (except the weekend).

    Researching this issue is where I came across the 'vacuum to waste' concept (somehow I had missed that in my reading). By vacuuming to waste, I am bypassing the filter altogether and sending the algae (and the water with it) directly out of the system altogether. So, by filling the pool and allowing the algae to settle at the bottom (which I did overnight), I was able to target the algae, get it directly out of the pool, and avoid the issue of a constantly clogging filter. So...

    That is what I did this morning. I spent about 30 minutes vacuuming and watched as the white film on the bottom of the pool disappeared (on the shallow end - I can't see the deep end yet). I can now see the floor and design on the entire shallow end of the pool (which I have not been able to up to this point). Beyond that, I restarted the filter 2 hours ago, and the pressure has increased by 1 psi in that time (it was increasing by 10 in 90 minutes)!!! It is still going to clog up and need backwashing - but early indications are that the impossible 90 minute cycles may be less of an issue now that I have done some backwashing (I won't know, for sure, until I let some more time pass).

    So, again, this is not 'advice' or educated input - this is simply what my experience has been so far. Hopefully it helps, and others will chime in with more experienced input!
    Pool details:

    18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •