Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intermatic timer stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

intermatic timer stopped working

hey guys,

out of the blue my intermatic timer stopped working. I believe i can still hear that clicking noise on the device, but the clock dial will not move no matter what i do. I pulled it, adjusted the time again, and pushed it back, and it is still not rotating the timer dial.

any ideas on how i can fix it? i am generally handy.

btw, switching the pool pump manually works just fine.

thanks in advance.
    14500 gallon plaster pool (replastered in May 2009) : 32ft.L x 4ft.D x 14ft.W
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 sqft DE filter --> New filter grids as of May 2011. I use DE for them.
    Polaris 280 & Aquabot T-Jet Turbo at 2hrs/week. 20ft by 4ft solar heating panels
    Circupool RJ30 SWG set at 80% output & Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2speed running 8 hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intermatic timer stopped working

Pretty sure you can replace just the timer mechanism.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks Jason. i read that in another thread here as well. i called Leslies and they have this for $70. i was hoping there might be something else i could fix instead.
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 sqft DE filter --> New filter grids as of May 2011. I use DE for them.
    Polaris 280 & Aquabot T-Jet Turbo at 2hrs/week. 20ft by 4ft solar heating panels
    Circupool RJ30 SWG set at 80% output & Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2speed running 8 hrs/day

4. Back To Top    #4

Most Intermatics you can buy just the timer motor. Also, most of the timers have a viewing hole in the baseplate where you can see the timer gears turning, if theya re not turning you need a new motor. Might try Graingers or any local electrical supply house. Shut the power off and take the old timer motor with you.
    Michael
    15'x30' AGP - 13.200 gallons
    2Hp 2 speed Pump - 93sf Cartridge Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit - BBB Method

5. Back To Top    #5

I did mine last year, I got the motor at Grainger for about $15 or less, very simple if you are handy. Though, make sure you pull the breaker.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are still hearing the motor running, it might be stripped gears. Here's a slightly cheaper option:

http://www.amazon.com/INTERMATIC-T103M- ... 01&sr=8-29

Even cheaper is this electronic version, with 8 run cycles possible:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-PB314E ... 799&sr=8-3

If it were me, I'd probably go with the second version... no more concern about moving parts, and this probably uses less electricity.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks guys! these are great options. i will try graingers as they are near me!

8. Back To Top    #8

the little gears are not running. i guess i need a new motor.