Need advice on resurfacing options, new concrete pool

JennyM

May 3, 2012
My new poured concrete pool has become a nightmare, has never held water! Unfortunately, it was built, but sitting empty, when the earthquake hit us in Virginia last August. We fixed the obvious crack, then filled the pool; next morning it was down 5". Thought it was the light housing, fixed that. Then filled again and same thing happened. Had a pressure test done and lines are OK, but found a big leak at the joint where the floor meets the wall, water leaking back in. Fixed that with hydraulic cement. It had to sit empty until spring, but now have hairline cracks running from shallow end to deep end. I also suspect that we could very well have more joint leaks.

So, I'm researching like crazy. I'm convinced that I need to do a resurface job with something that is strong, bonds INTO the concrete, and has some flexibility. (We not only have clay soil that can move, but also still have aftershocks.) We're currently sandblasting the floor of the pool and 2-3" up the walls and steps, to expose all joints where vertical meets horizontal. I just can't afford to go all the way up the walls, and don't believe we have any leaks there.

Here are the product lines that I've found to consider. I'm wide open to any other suggestions, but would like input on these product lines from anyone with experience/knowledge. I still have unanswered questions regarding some of these product lines, can't get calls back so far.

1. Sani-Tred - www.sanitred.com
Rubber-based, penetrates into concrete, flexible. Do 1 coat, then special caulk in all joints, then another coat. Then, 2 coats of good epoxy paint.
2. AquaFin - www.aquafin.net (already addressed on another thread)
acrylic-modified cementitious coating with flexibility, crack bridging. Use 1 coat of 1K, the joint tape, then 2KM. Can be left as is, or can be painted.
3. EcoSmartEpoxy Systems - www.ecosmartepoxysystems.com
ArmorGuard cleaner etches the concrete, then ArmorGuard topcoat etches 1/4" into the concrete, rolls on at 15 mil, comes in colors. Does not need painting.
4. Super Epoxy Coating - www.superepoxyswimmingpoolcoating.com
2-part polymer epoxy, 200 PSI, penetrating bond with concrete, flexibility, 1 coat goes on 20 mil. Does not need painting.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to fix this with something that will last more than 1-2 years (as suggested by one pool company)! Thanks.

swimcmp said:
We do the ecosmart system and have had excellent results with it. It will seal the cracks and make the concrete stronger than it would ever be.

Would you be willing to talk via phone, or private e-mail? I haven't been able to connect via phone with EcoSmart yet, so still have specific questions. Like, is one coat REALLY enough? Should it be painted for added strength? Is it their "trowel mix" that I'd use for caulking the joints?

I wanted references from contractors who use these systems, thus would like more info from you ... how long you've used this product, how many pools, etc. Difficult to apply at correct thickness? Most important, how long will it hold up?

Thanks for your reply!

If the shell is rigid, then something like what you are talking about will be fine. But it sure doesn't sound like that is what is happening. That sounds like structural cracking. For structural cracks you need something more than just epoxy. The entire shell needs to be connected and rigid or it will never hold long term. There are products that can do this, for example this one. Make sure you understand what is wrong, and fix it all the way, and don't just "caulk" cracks that aren't properly held together in the first place.

Jason Eco smart is an epoxy with a fiberglass mat it is extremely durable and very strong. Yes I will talk directly Jenny, I am in the midwest and am available about anytime. pm me with contact info and best time for you. I have a son graduating in the morning and can be available most of the afternoon on 5/5.

JasonLion said:
If the shell is rigid, then something like what you are talking about will be fine. But it sure doesn't sound like that is what is happening. That sounds like structural cracking. For structural cracks you need something more than just epoxy. The entire shell needs to be connected and rigid or it will never hold long term. There are products that can do this, for example this one. Make sure you understand what is wrong, and fix it all the way, and don't just "caulk" cracks that aren't properly held together in the first place.

I've looked into that method but my concrete man doesn't feel the cracks are really structural. Both floor and walls are tied together with a lot of rebar. The botton cracks are hairline so should be OK with a one-piece strong, flexible coating process. The joints DID leak, at least in one place, but I understand that separation is pretty common with concrete pools. That's why I want to go at least a couple inches up the walls, sealing all the joints, covering them with what will be a one-piece "liner", something that penetrates into the concrete. Just don't know yet what product line to go with.

Thanks for your info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.