Super fine dust and cleaners

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
Any of you who live where dust is a way of life, particularly fine dust such as is found in the desert, find any way to clean it that works very well? The disc on my vac keeps falling off the head, so I'm either going to have to get new parts for my cleaner or get a new one. I'm particularly wondering about a polaris 65 with a fine silt bag. Anyone have any experience with those?
I do have a pool blaster catfish that I put a nylon stocking in the bag and it works well with getting the dust, but was wondering about something automatic. :)

Isaac-1 said:
If you have fine dust consider getting a DE filter, they will remove far smaller particles than a sand or cartridge fitler.
I agree with Issac. :cheers:

Filtration Efficiency
Sand +/- 40 microns
Cartridge +/- 10 microns
DE +/- 5 microns

I know some people add some DE to their sand filter..that might be an option too

EDIT: just had another thought. You can put a knee-high stocking over your skimmer basket. Not sure that I can find micron filter information for panty-hoes...but might be worth a try! :shock:

I do use a skimmer sock. That works well for catching the dust that's suspended in the water, but a fair amount sinks to the bottom. It's difficult to vacuum, and since I have to take the skimmer basket / sock out to use a cleaner, the skimmer sock is no good for that. Not to mention vacuuming stirs the dust as well as sucking some of it up, and with not having a skimmer operating while vacuuming is a bit of an issue. The cleanest I get the pool is when I use the catfish, so the dust that's stirred up by vacuuming gets sucked by the skimmer. That's why I was wondering about something like the Polaris 65 with its fine silt bag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.