Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super fine dust and cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

Super fine dust and cleaners

Any of you who live where dust is a way of life, particularly fine dust such as is found in the desert, find any way to clean it that works very well? The disc on my vac keeps falling off the head, so I'm either going to have to get new parts for my cleaner or get a new one. I'm particularly wondering about a polaris 65 with a fine silt bag. Anyone have any experience with those?
    I do have a pool blaster catfish that I put a nylon stocking in the bag and it works well with getting the dust, but was wondering about something automatic.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Super fine dust and cleaners

I live in the land of dust. Seriously, the wind blows here all the time. I have a Lil Shark and it does pretty well, but sometimes I still have fine dust. The pool store was trying to sell me a robot this year, but I think I'll keep what I have.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have fine dust consider getting a DE filter, they will remove far smaller particles than a sand or cartridge fitler.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    If you have fine dust consider getting a DE filter, they will remove far smaller particles than a sand or cartridge fitler.
    I agree with Issac.

Filtration Efficiency
    Sand +/- 40 microns
    Cartridge +/- 10 microns
    DE +/- 5 microns

I know some people add some DE to their sand filter..that might be an option too

EDIT: just had another thought. You can put a knee-high stocking over your skimmer basket. Not sure that I can find micron filter information for panty-hoes...but might be worth a try!

5. Back To Top    #5

I do use a skimmer sock. That works well for catching the dust that's suspended in the water, but a fair amount sinks to the bottom. It's difficult to vacuum, and since I have to take the skimmer basket / sock out to use a cleaner, the skimmer sock is no good for that. Not to mention vacuuming stirs the dust as well as sucking some of it up, and with not having a skimmer operating while vacuuming is a bit of an issue. The cleanest I get the pool is when I use the catfish, so the dust that's stirred up by vacuuming gets sucked by the skimmer. That's why I was wondering about something like the Polaris 65 with its fine silt bag.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

With fine dust particles, the Polaris 65 or a robotic cleaner with fine bags will probably be your best bet.
    Chris - In the Industry